"Discussion forum for performances" (request for the site management)

Edited: February 2, 2019, 2:17 AM · I guess we all of have this problem- we upload something to YouTube but we don't have any way to discuss it or promote it except of advertisements.
And even in this cases in YouTube we don't have really access to many videos execept the ones YouTube shows.

Can the management of the site make a "Discussion forum" for performances?
This forum is for general discussions, no?

Replies (25)

Edited: February 2, 2019, 8:26 AM · The editor doesn't want to be responsible for storing and maintaining your video content. Even photos are supposed to be linked elsewhere. Therefore I'm having a hard time seeing the benefit of another content category.

As you suggested, your other option is to create your own YouTube channel and promote it by spending hours per day on social media and buying bots to tweet out your accomplishments.

February 2, 2019, 9:15 AM · We won't upload things to the site, just links, as we do here.
The videos are on youtube.

But here you can't start a discussion on personal performances other than someting "special" like "Paganini 16th caprice on a bike";)

February 2, 2019, 9:22 AM · "...we don't have any way to discuss it"

Are you kidding me?

How many hundreds of replies have been squandered discussing YOUR videos?

No one seemed to have any trouble viewing or discussing your videos, and there has been no lack of discussion about them.

Edited: February 2, 2019, 9:30 AM · These were "unique" videos, so it was legitimate to discuss here - like "fastest in the world" caprices, and "Caprice on a bike",
But what about average piece?
Edited: February 2, 2019, 9:42 AM ·
David, you have not lacked for attention and discussion. I'm not sure what you're complaining about now.

Maybe it's the politician in you? That it's never enough?

February 2, 2019, 10:25 AM · David, you played "average" pieces too, and got some useful feed back on those....
Edited: February 2, 2019, 10:35 AM · Those pieces were part of the discussion there, these were an examples to show some points.

What about piece that isn't realted?

February 2, 2019, 10:55 AM · "The fastest in the world Bach's Cahconne"
Or "Bach Chaconne on a Bike"
is too much even for me...;))
February 2, 2019, 10:57 AM · Folks often post videos and ask for comments. What's the problem?
Edited: February 2, 2019, 11:04 AM · "But here you can't start a discussion on personal performances other than something special' like 'Paganini 16th caprice on a bike'."

People post videos of their own playing all the time. Many do not have the courage to do so, so you do at least get credit for that in my view. But having a special link for it won't change how many will do so.

However, my response is extremely unlikely to change your opinion on the subject.

February 2, 2019, 2:32 PM · I wonder if more people would be encouraged to post videos if there were a specific forum category for it -- "Videos" or "Feedback" or "Critiques" or something like that.

The forum isn't so active that the categorizations matter, though.

Edited: February 2, 2019, 4:04 PM · Lydia leong
I think that it will help.
Moreover- it can help even to top professionals with their albums etc. and to bring money to the site managment-
Because they can make an option for paid promotions- as on "second hand" sites.
Youtube is free, but it is like a jungle - Anarchic Jungle.
You can't find things or discover. It gives you all the time the same videos for the searches. And limited options.
February 2, 2019, 9:40 PM · David, YouTube isn't free. True, you can join free and upload videos, but someone has to pay for the ads -- if you opt to have them.

I, for one, got fed up very early with having these obnoxious, crass, LOUD ads interrupt the concerts -- sometimes at the worst possible moment. So I became a YouTube Premium, formerly YouTube Red, subscriber. Now, for a very small monthly fee, I can play all the music I want in the background -- without these disruptions -- while I get other things done. Bottom line: I'm not getting something for nothing.

February 3, 2019, 3:09 AM · Paul said: "People post videos of their own playing all the time. Many do not have the courage to do so, so you do at least get credit for that in my view. But having a special link for it won't change how many will do so."

I think you're right about this, although I wonder, like Lydia does, if perhaps more people don't post because they feel too narcissistic posting videos of themselves playing on a forum that they perceive as dedicated to only the finest playing.

There are lot of surprisingly humble people that frequent this forum, and I wonder if most don't post videos because they think "why would I want to insult these people with my lesser playing?" Or "By posting a video of myself randomly under the guise of 'general discussion,' I'm drawing too much attention to myself for no good reason, and thus inviting overly-critical judgement."

I do think a video-sharing/critique subsection is a good idea. I've thought this for a long time now. Of course, I'm not too shy about just posting in the general discussion, but I'm not really a humble person, and my natural narcissism makes it so I enjoy even the negative responses to anything I post. So,

Edited: February 3, 2019, 5:37 PM · As a fairly new member, and adult returner, I would be very unlikely to post a video for feedback unless there were such a category, where this is what is done. If there were this category, I would find it very intriguing to read/listen to, and learn alot that way, and I would also be very likely to post. Seeing the amazing and detailed feedback from so manyy talented members, in response to Anita's posted video was awesome and inspiring. A place for this kind of exchange to happen readily would be great.
Edited: February 4, 2019, 9:38 AM · Since it fits in this thread and back in November I promised to share my performance of the theme from Schindler's List, here it is. Too tense, too rushed, shaky intonation, but, the amateur that I am, I can actually live with it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G6Iveo-TrDMlDjU8UPNrxlcyXIGGfy0Y/view?usp=sharing

February 4, 2019, 9:41 AM · Jean, that was so nice, I loved it. Was the orchestral part a canned recording or were you live with an orchestra?
February 4, 2019, 10:07 AM · Thanks Paul, this is a live recording from our orchestra's concert last December.
February 4, 2019, 10:20 AM · People do not-infrequently ask if it's okay to post a video for critique, so I do think that an encouragement to do so in the form of a forum category would be beneficial.

Jean, thumbs up!

Edited: February 4, 2019, 10:41 AM · Okay, I changed my mind. I can see how maybe it's a good idea.

I'm trying to get my community orchestra (not anywhere as good as yours) to let me play Beethoven Romance Op. 40.

February 4, 2019, 10:42 AM · It was very nice. A little bit "shaky", but overall very good.
(To hear it from me - a Jew, is extra points:))
Next time i recommend to put a video.

February 4, 2019, 10:44 AM · I agree - a forum category for critiques/feedback would be great - preferably with some clear guidelines for both uploaders and commenters. For uploaders - things like what state what you are particularly looking for comments on and your overall goals in playing and with this piece.. For commenters - some hints around diplomacy, sensitivity and the like :)
Edited: February 4, 2019, 11:04 AM · Many similar sites I visit have a "songs" section. In most cases the idea is to listen, comment and critique.

Several of these sites have rules that require anyone posting to also comment on a set number of others posts before they can post, since many posters aren't involved in the community and only want free exposure.How well this works is all contingent on the membership.Critiques, especially on mix techniques and music construction have varied responses and I most often view these as subjective. Usually helpful.There are also rules as to how many posts one person can make within a certain time frame for obvious reasons. These examples are not expressly video content and can also be audio content.

I think it's a good idea because it keeps that kind of thing away from other areas. The way this site is set up though all threads in the discussions area show up in one place which is slightly different than others.

February 4, 2019, 1:16 PM · Beautiful, Jean!
February 5, 2019, 8:49 AM · Ditto that. ^^^^

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic