New (First) Violin Day!

Edited: February 1, 2019, 9:02 PM · New Violin Day is here and it's my first! (You never forget your first)

It is a La Chambre 600 high end student model I got from the local music shop. It was the best sounding and looking one in the $300-$400 range and the shop owner said I could trade her in for a better violin some time down the road. He even threw in an upgraded fiberglass bow because the wooden bow it came with was slightly bent.

I still can't play the darn thing properly, but that's what lessons are for!

La Chambre 600

Replies (13)

Edited: February 1, 2019, 9:51 PM · Beautiful! I'm happy for you! The great thing about a carbon-fiber bow is that you can always blame it if your tone blows.
February 1, 2019, 10:14 PM · it looks very cool and crisp! I hope you enjoy this journey which I have been able to!
Edited: February 2, 2019, 3:14 AM · Nice! When you feel comfortable, removing the finetuners (all except E) will make it sound better. You might need to get the pegs adjusted at the shop, but this made a huge difference on my first violin and honestly learning tune to with pegs is easier in my opinion.
February 2, 2019, 5:02 AM · A heartwarming topic to read about on a 10 degree below zero F morning. A nice looking instrument and bow to start out with and hope that you have a case to protect it on the way to your music lessons. What kind of strings are installed on your violin?

Welcome mr. Evans to violinist.com!

February 2, 2019, 8:35 AM · Congratulations. You are about to embark on a challenging journey. I found it helpful to think of it as a series of modest destinations that never ends.

I would suggest three things for your violin to get started:

1. Have the shop carefully adjust the pegs so that they turn smoothly with modest effort. Sticky and/or loose pegs were the single most frustrating experience I had when starting. Do not worry about getting rid of the fine tuners for now. They will be a major convenience for some time.

2. Buy a micro tuner that sits on the edge of the violin. D'Addario sells a good one the price is modest. This makes tuning a snap and helps you easily correct finger positions when practicing.

3. Get a finger tape applied for the third finger in first position(perfect fourth above the open string). All the other finger locations can be quickly learned with this as a reference point.

February 2, 2019, 10:57 AM · 1. Agree - smoothly functioning pegs are critical

2. Agree - the new electronic vibration sensing tuners are terrific - use it to learn to tune your strings in 5ths.

3. Do not agree - the 3rd finger (in 1st position) on E, A and D strings is the octave of the string below. If you can find the 3rd finger location and locate 1st, 2nd and 4th fingers accordingly - tapes on the fingerboard do nothing for you. If you can see the tape(s) on your fingerboard - in my opinion - you are not holding the violin properly and this will hold you back in the future.

February 2, 2019, 12:08 PM · I remember how excited I was when I got my first violin. It was a cruddy Eastman factory violin. I know now it was a total shoebox, but I treated it like it was made of solid gold.

I agree that tapes hold you back. Learn to use your ears to find the right notes! I used tapes, and it caused me a lot of stress. Playing my teacher's violin for the first time (the pegs on mine were stuck) almost gave me a heart attack. I played ok, but I was pretty much dependent on those tapes when it came to my confidence.

Edited: February 2, 2019, 2:38 PM · Thanks for the responses! Yes I have a case (even has a humidity gauge), and the strings are D'Addario Helicore strings. I seem to be doing okay with the fingerings without the tape. I have a pretty good ear and I can tell when I'm sharp or flat. I'm having the most trouble with bowing, especially when fingering notes.
February 25, 2019, 8:41 AM · Hey OP! Congrats! Lovely instrument to start with it looks like!

I still have my first violin (my nephew plays on it now), and it always will be something special! Do you have a name yet?

February 25, 2019, 8:44 AM · Getting a new instrument is always a joy! Congrats!
Edited: February 25, 2019, 8:56 AM · Many congratulations on this, it's a wonderful thing! My first violin after a 40 year hiatus came at the end of November so I well remember the feeling. That violin is my forum avatar.

I concur with the others on not using tape, it took a few sessions for my teacher to convince me of this - but I trusted him on this. The ear is more important than the eye.

February 25, 2019, 9:05 AM · The use, or not of tapes is almost as popular a discussion as shoulder rests!
February 25, 2019, 9:46 AM · IIRC you used to play trombone. So you have a good enough ear to not need tape. You didn't need tape to learn the slide positions, did you?

And yes, the bow is going to give you a LOT more trouble than the fingerings...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases