Curiosity Questions About the Viola D’amore

January 30, 2019, 5:54 PM · Hi everyone,
I'm really curious about a few things related to the viola d'amore. I've researched this and can't find a clear answer:
1. How long is a viola d'amore's body?
2. Are violin and/or viola chin and shoulder rests compatible with a viola d'amore? If not, what do players use instead?
3. What is the string length of a viola d'amore? Is it the same as a violin or longer? I found two contradictory sources about this.
4. What sort of bow is used? A violin bow or a viola bow?
Thanks in advance.

Replies (1)

January 30, 2019, 8:28 PM · 1. They vary. No real standard. I have a Martin Biller in the shop at present that is 395mm, and I have seen them much larger.I know a Biller that is 440mm!
2-Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If they have overhung edges like a violin then yes, although some are very deep and there really isn't room for a chinrest! The ones with a gamba edge-no overhang-are a pill to get anything to stay on.The Biller that has the 395 mm body is so deep that you can barely fit your chin into a chinrest, the one that is 440mm is much more shallow and has a chinrest and a custom shoulder rest to fit the width. Much too wide for any production SR.
3-Once again, quite variable. The Biller has a string length of 380mm. I have a old French 'amore that I am restoring that has the same sized body as the Biller but a string length of 340 mm.
4. Violin, Viola, Baroque.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases