Pirastro perpetual vs Kaplan vivo

January 29, 2019, 10:05 PM · Both strings are meant to improve clarity and projection. Which owuld be better for a soloist? Would andrea rosin and these be an overkill?

Replies (10)

January 29, 2019, 11:30 PM · Are you a soloist?
January 30, 2019, 8:44 AM · The Kaplan Vivo certainly have some horsepower to them. But are not overly bright.
January 30, 2019, 9:02 AM · For soloists, an artistically developed bow arm is better than both options, but they could use either-and other choices-just as well.

Andrea Solo is fine, with lots of edge. I do not use it anymore, though I still have one cake at home. Makes a difference, though I feel it's very "attention seeking", for lack of a better term. One can still play "loudly" (assuming that is the intent) with other rosins-I recommend you choose whichever makes you play more confidently and that lets you enjoy your sound more.

(Nothing against Andrea Solo, however.)

Vadim Repin uses Perpetual. I assume some great players may use Vivo. Use whatever works better for your violin and yourself.

I personally use "non solo" gut strings, but somehow don't find they cannot handle the solo repertoire.

January 30, 2019, 11:21 AM · Alex, you keep asking string questions about circumstances in which it should not be difficult to be heard over an orchestra. That suggests the issue is your tone production technique, possibly coupled to needing a better violin.

The strings that a soloist uses on their Strad to play in large halls with big orchestras are pretty much irrelevant to your situation.

I find that Kaplan Amo/Vivo has a weird, rough texture that's not very comfortable under the left hand.

The difference that rosin makes is pretty trivial. Switch rosins if you don't feel like you're getting the traction you want (assuming your bow has been recently rehaired and is in good shape). An audience will never perceive the difference between rosins.

January 30, 2019, 11:33 AM · If this is not a joke, I would say the Kaplan Vivos are not on the same speaking terms with Perpetuals.
January 30, 2019, 11:43 AM · It's not overkill to use expensive strings, bow, and accessories on an expensive, quality instrument for professional playing. It is overkill if you have an ordinary, student-grade instrument
January 30, 2019, 11:55 AM · Perpetual and Kaplan Vivo are both "good" strings. If you are trying to decide between them, you'd have to try them. Andrea rosin is also "good".

As far as projection? That's a more complex issue of technique, your violin, your bow, your setup, and then your strings.

January 30, 2019, 3:05 PM · I would also note to Joel's point that an expensive, quality instrument for professional playing will probably sound fine with any string that isn't an actively bad mismatch (for instance, high-tension strings on a violin that doesn't like high tension). Plenty of people who own higher-end instruments just put Dominants on them.

More than anything else, having the strings be *new* is a major factor in tone quality. You're far better off getting decent-quality but cheaper strings and changing them once a month (assuming you play 3 to 4 hours a day) than you are getting expensive strings you can only afford to replace less frequently.

January 30, 2019, 3:13 PM · I'm with Lydia on the Kaplans - I did not like how they felt, nor did I like how they sounded on my violin. They felt like guitar strings to me, and made my violin sound like it was under water or something. Not a good fit.
January 30, 2019, 3:47 PM · I hate all d'Addario strings. With all that fancy technology they boast about ad nauseam, they can't seem to produce a decent product. Both their violin and guitar strings are like sandpaper under the fingers and are impossible to get a clean sound out of.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic