Need help remembering!

January 29, 2019, 9:22 PM · A while back in one of the discussion threads someone posted a youtube of a woman who had incredibly wide vibrato. Comically wide, with her fingers basically sliding around. But I can NOT think of her name, and I've searched the archives. Help me please!

Replies (10)

January 29, 2019, 9:31 PM · Anna Karkowska - https://www.thestrad.com/news/anna-karkowska-who-ruffled-the-violin-world-with-hyper-romantic-style-dies-at-36/7576.article
January 29, 2019, 9:48 PM · Lydia beat me to it.

Can't laugh at her videos any more; 36 was much too young. Very sad for her family.

Edited: January 29, 2019, 9:58 PM · Yeah, I just read that too. That really is tremendously sad. I'm heartbroken to read that. Even though her style was not to my taste, she obviously had skill and promise. And flair! Thank you both.
January 30, 2019, 3:28 AM · I couldn't find fault with her playing until I listened to the intro and slower parts of this.

C. Saint-Saens

January 30, 2019, 4:17 AM · Sorry guys, I still laughed. Genuinely and deeply. Never heard her before and I'm happy I did now.

The worst result of a death is people losing their ability to laugh. An indestructible sense of humor is what keeps us going in this cruel world when thr going gets hard. At least, that's my coping mechanism.

January 30, 2019, 5:46 AM · How does vibrato like that even come to exist?
January 30, 2019, 6:40 AM · Still narrower than opera vibrato.
Edited: February 1, 2019, 6:40 PM · For some reason, this discussion reminds me of a quote, this one by the late psychiatrist Dr. Milton Erickson, probably the greatest clinical hypnotist who ever lived and one who often focused on appreciating many human characteristics often considered as "weaknesses."

"Life, all by itself, will bring you pain. Your responsibility is to create joy." - Milton Erickson, M.D.

Is that not what being a musician is all about?

Stay warm.
Cheers,
Sandy

January 31, 2019, 10:39 AM · I certainly won't laugh at this. It simply makes me feel queasy.
February 1, 2019, 4:54 PM · I saw her play live in recital with her sister some years ago and yes, her vibrato was wide - I thought of it as a "gypsy-style" playing. But her technique and virtuosity overall were staggering. Definitely a unique sound, and quite the performer. She and her sister were very personable and funny - sad that she has passed away.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases