Violin strings

January 29, 2019, 2:46 PM · What are the signs that one needs new violin strings? I have read/heard about 1Year. This is a guess. I would like to hear something scientific!
Thanks Terry

Replies (10)

January 29, 2019, 3:05 PM · When it don' sound good.
January 29, 2019, 3:17 PM · My luthier's rule of thumb is to change strings after 120 hours of use. However, if they are unraveling or sounding way off, you need new strings. The real problem is that the sound quality can decline so gradually that you do not notice it immediately.
January 29, 2019, 6:40 PM · Intonation goes wonky and strings don’t react as quickly and easily. But, like tires, earlier than you think is better. If you’re thinking about it, your subconscious already thinks you should.
February 4, 2019, 9:18 PM ·
February 4, 2019, 9:19 PM ·
February 4, 2019, 9:21 PM · To Alexander
Thanks for giving the website. It was very good
Terry
February 4, 2019, 9:25 PM · It really depends on the brand of string. Some last longer than others. It's sort of like a hair cut. It looks fine, then it looks really good for a week, then all the sudden, you look like a wild child who's been raised by wolves. I know it's time to change my strings when they don't sound in tune, even though they are. The overtones aren't right.

If you give us a brand of string you're using, we can speak to our particular experiences with that brand.

February 5, 2019, 2:17 AM · I just try to change strings after about 120 hours of playing, though I've gone as long as 200 hours with one set. (I advise against trying to keep any set of strings longer than 150 hours, even with the most durable brands; if my strings stay on the instrument longer than that it's not intentional.)

On my viola, it's actually very easy to tell when I need new strings, because I use a mixed set of two different brands (Larsen A, Vision for the other strings) and they go dull at different rates. When they're in good condition, the two brands match extremely well on my viola. When I start noticing a mismatch between my D and A strings, and having to adjust my bowing technique to maintain phrase shape across the two strings, I know it's definitely time to change strings.

Edited: February 6, 2019, 10:05 PM · Julie
I have been using Tonicas for quite a while, about 20 years
February 7, 2019, 10:54 AM · Tonicas have a decent lifespan. Still should be changed every 120 hours, or at least once a year (preferably twice a year).

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases