Equester Electric Violins - anyone tried one? If you hate electric violins, no need to respond.

Edited: January 28, 2019, 9:30 PM · I've just had Equester electric violins pop up in my field of view, and am wondering about them. The videos on their site are pretty anemic, but, I saw some other videos before I went there that were more appealing.

http://equesterinstruments.com/

In this video, it sounds better than the other electrics being compared to it. Skip to the 5:30 mark. Seems to have less piezo buzz.

Equester comparison

This one is not so bad either:

Another Equester video

They're going for under $500 on ebay, but the builder does not accept returns, which is worrisome.

Replies (7)

January 28, 2019, 10:47 PM · Because they're custom instruments the no returns sort of makes sense, but it also means you're either stuck with it or stuck reselling it if you're unhappy.

If you can't track one down to try I would give it a pass, unless the money is easily disposable to you.

January 28, 2019, 10:53 PM · I already have a very good electric, which the piezo buzz used to get me, but now I run it through a DI box, and equalizer, and some other stuff. So, I can wait. Probably more of a "if I just buy ONE MORE instrument, I will play better" syndrome thang going on.

But, it sounded more open and rich than the buzz you sometimes hear on other electrics.

Edited: January 28, 2019, 11:30 PM · It's okay, you can admit that the cosmetics appeal to you too! ;)

Second video I don't put too much stock into as the video seems a little low quality - depending on how the audio was picked up it would be hard to truly judge.

I also admit to wondering how it would feel under the fingers - slippery? I've never tried to play something with an acrylic neck/finger board before. I've nothing against non-traditional violins but I don't know how I feel about that particular aspect.

January 29, 2019, 12:17 AM · The neck worried me too, about ease of wear (since I haven't totally graduated away from my death grip). Another neck shown was carbon fiber, and I wondered how long until you started getting little black fibers embedding themselves into your finger tips.

As far as cosmetics, I have a Jordan electric, and it likely beats the Equester all to hell with looks, but the Jordan sounded better than several other electrics I tried at the time. For me, a clear, or "shiny" (lights) violin, is not that appealing. But, the sound was appealing (and price for the sound). For me to be playing something with a lot of flash, with my current playing ability, would be saying VERY LOUDLY "trying too hard so you don't notice I suck."

I originally bought the electric because I wanted to retain what hearing I have left. At that time, I was playing more fiddle. In retrospect, it was premature to spend that money.

January 29, 2019, 10:30 PM · Thanks for the knowledgeable feedback Tom. I'll try to find a point in the videos where they're playing the G string. I did find that it sounded better than some wood bodied electrics, but, could be that amp thing you mentioned.
January 30, 2019, 2:05 AM · I do accept returns. In fact eBay and Paypal policy obligates me to do so.
Edited: February 1, 2019, 6:12 AM · Thank you Ireneusz, good to know. I thought the posting I saw on eBay said you did not. This posting, for instance:

Equester ebay listing

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic