2 days to get Bach's Largo up to performance level. Here it is now:

January 25, 2019, 4:56 PM · I've been asked to fill in for a sick friend at a memorial luncheon this Sunday. I haven't played this in while; here's where it stands as my first run. I'm going to be working on the chords and intonation tonight, phrasing tomorrow. Any suggestions welcome!

https://soundcloud.com/user-187335670/largo-1

Replies (12)

January 25, 2019, 5:14 PM · It's beautiful. I think sometimes (as I do too) you let the chords disrupt the underlying heartbeat of the piece. But once they are in your fingers again that probably won't be so much of an issue.
January 25, 2019, 5:17 PM · Well....It's not the fastest Largo on the web ;-) but I'm looking forward to the finished product. Please post.
January 26, 2019, 5:16 AM · I hope the people at the luncheon enjoy your live performamce as much as I enjoyed your soundcloud version.
January 26, 2019, 7:08 AM · As long as this is not a memorial for a famous violinist this is already quite OK :-) Two comments if I may: you should let the bass accompaniment speak out more, it could be much broader. Secondly, try to create more contrast in dynamics, possibly by splitting bows when you want to play forte, and do not start so "shy" in the beginning. But very nice already, thanks for sharing, and good luck with the performance tomorrow.
January 26, 2019, 9:42 AM · Thanks guys!
Katie- the chords ARE horrible. Still working on them, but they're better today.

Bill- If you look on Youtube, Hillary Hahn's performance is a whole 40 seconds slower than mine. So mine is much better in that regard.

Jeff-thanks!

Jean- These are a group of older ladies and it's in the banquet room of a country club, so I'd guess their standards aren't too high! Mine are, and I'll work on that bass line today.

January 26, 2019, 12:40 PM · Just remember you'll be starring in your own late, late show, sailing away to Key Largo. Just like Bogey and Bacall. LOL
January 26, 2019, 5:30 PM · It's worth bearing in mind that most audiences hear only a fraction of what passes the player's ears!
January 28, 2019, 3:02 AM · I'm curious what it sounds like after 2 days of prep.
January 28, 2019, 4:37 AM · Based on your performance that you have posted I am sure after 2 days worth of practice it will sound wonderful.
January 28, 2019, 7:14 AM · How did it go?
January 28, 2019, 8:47 AM · Nicely done. I would work on connecting the music more so it less choppy.
Edited: January 30, 2019, 3:27 PM · Performance went well! After working it up for two days, I'm thoroughly sick of it and never want to play or hear it again. The only snag was that I also had to play while people were shuffling in- Somewhere over the rainbow type stuff the flutist I was replacing had already put together. I didn't practice any of it- I just switched out a couple of the flute selections that weren't going to sound right on violin. My cheesy version of Memories could only be described as lactose intolerable. I don't know that anyone really noticed though.

I was trying to figure out why the chords were so bad- I don't think I've played this since I replaced my fingerboard, nut, and bridge last year. I think it might have been faulty muscle memory?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic