Timbre Strings Update

January 25, 2019, 3:41 PM · Hi All

Are there any updates re Warchal Timbre strings? I’m interested in the following:

1. Longevity
2. Projection
3. Color, complexity and richness
4. Compared to Pirastro Evah Pirazzi Golds and Perpetual strings after a few months.

Thanks in advance.

G

Replies (4)

January 25, 2019, 4:00 PM · I tried them recently.

1) Can't say

2) Pretty powerful strings, but not in a harsh way at all.

3) On the warmer side, but with nice overtones and quite rich. Maybe not complex enough for my tastes. In general, they had what I would call a "big" sound. They were projecting while retaining warmth. But with all the "bigness", I felt the response of the strings was lacking as opposed to what I prefer. I felt the need to articulate every fast note with additional pressure. This is also something I've noticed with other warchal strings too, in that their sound is good and "big" but they seem to trade a bit of responsiveness for it. But then again, I've only now tried Ambers, Brilliants, and Timbres.

However, it could also just be the way that they interacted with my particular violin, a decidedly stubborn and tight instrument, whereas I felt the Timbres wanted to be more on an alto-ish violin. I think the strings are probably awesome for some violins, and not so much for others. Kind of like any other string out there, they won't work perfectly on every instrument.

On that note, I put my Perpetuals on a student's violin (a fairly mellow instrument, but a very nice one) and it made a huge difference in the sound. I had decided the perpetuals were a bit too much for my violin, and switched back to Vision Solos for now. But they worked great for livening up her overly (in my opinion) mellow violin.

In a nutshell, the Timbres are great if you liked the Ambers but want a string that will play well above 7th position (and with less texture to the sound), or if you liked the Brilliants but want something with more warmth and color.

Edited: January 25, 2019, 4:10 PM · The last sets I had were 3 times EP Gold, Perpetual and then Timbre.

I would claim to be able to make a really sound comparison with months in between. What I can say is that Timbre is a good compromise between the EP Gold with very own characteristic (warm, loud, ...) and the very clean Perpetuals.

I would say (despite all climate changes and I do not play the same time everyday) that Timbres live clearly longer. I am a bit past 150h, maybe close to 200h, and do not yet see reason to change.

January 25, 2019, 4:18 PM · I continue to use my Avantgarde A and Amber E, which have been on the violin for more than 6 months, with the Timbre D and G, which have been on the violin since November.

They are sounding fine, but not as good as when I first got them.

I'm really wanting to go back to Passiones at this point, though.

Edited: January 25, 2019, 5:05 PM · I have now tried Warchal Timbre strings on all 4 of my violins, that I identify below by labeled place and date of making. My violins were all hand made during my lifetime and acquired within 0 - 3 years of their completion date and I have met all the makers:

1951, Baltimore, MD, US – Timbres are absolutely fantastic on this violin, beautiful and responsive.

1970, Redlands, CA, US – The best strings ever on this violin, but I replaced the Timbre composite A with Avantgarde steel string for better match to the tone and timbre of the E and D strings. I would have played it much more over the past 46 years if these strings had been on it.

1971, Madrid, Spain – Not a good match for this violin, much less power under the ear (and in “cello position”) than with all previous strings I’ve used on it including the EP Gold with PI-Pt E used just previously. I replaced the Timbres with a set of Tricolore with Gold Brokat E – which is a better fit for it, although possibly not up to the EPG mix.

2000, Ridgecrest, CA, US – The best strings ever on this violin – especially after I moved the soundpost about 1 mm closer to the bridge foot. In fact I have now moved this violin from my closet to my “traveling” double violin/viola case for all my playing in- and out-house for the near future.

I was using Evah Pirazzi Gold strings with Peter Infeld Pt-E on all these violins just previously to the Timbres. Except that on the Redlands 1970 violin, I had replaced the EPG A & D strings with Pirastro Flexocor-Permanent strings for improved balance and sound.

I have no way to judge projection - I have not performed in front of an orchestra for over 35 years and unless I'm playing violin in an orchestra and someone from the trumpet section says "love your violin" (which did happen some years ago and I had no idea how he knew it was mine) how can I really tell?

When you buy new strings you take a chance, even with "the best."

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic