Looking for Post-Modern/Minimalist Solo Violin Works

Edited: January 25, 2019, 12:00 PM · I have a monthly opportunity to play a solo piece or two in concert, and would like to find more pieces for unaccompanied violin, or with a very approachable piano part (not much time to rehearse with the pianist). I'd prefer pieces that are more tonal (doesn't have to be strictly tonal), and I tend to gravitate to the more minimalist composers (Pärt, Glass, Richter). Does anyone have suggestions? I already have Mercy by Max Richter, Fratres by Part. I'm also open to pieces that cross-pollinate with jazz, folk/fiddle, blues, etc (I have the Tango Etudes by Piazzolla, as well). I know there are some great composers out there that I just haven't discovered yet!
Thanks in advance!!
Kelly

Replies (8)

January 25, 2019, 12:06 PM · The most minimal piece of music I know:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj51jb0_T2I

John Harbison's Songs of Solitude are nice too.

January 25, 2019, 1:15 PM · Pärt's Spiegel im Spiegel
Edited: January 26, 2019, 6:16 PM · Just wondering, if you can improvise convincingly in a modernist or minimalist style then that could be worth thinking about.
January 26, 2019, 5:48 PM · Trevor's idea is interesting.
Edited: January 27, 2019, 6:56 AM · I love Richter. There is a violin/piano reduction of his album "Recomposed" that I like a lot, you can get the partiture book in amazon.
I also follow Ólafur Arnalds, he has a violin solo piece, 3326, that I think it's what you are looking for.
Ólafur Arnalds publishes his sheet music in his webpage.
January 27, 2019, 9:54 AM · Julie-- I wasn't familiar with the Feldman, but I realized I've heard the Songs of Solitude before-- thanks for those suggestions.

Scott-- I actually have Spiegel Im Spiegel, and I love that piece. Good call.

Trevor,that's an interesting idea- I'll look into that.

Thanks for your suggestions, Carlos-- Richter is one of my favorites, and I'll look into 3326!

Edited: January 28, 2019, 9:35 AM · Lots of great stuff out there, I think, though not always along the lines of what you indicated in your post. Here are a few that might fit the bill:

Peace Variations for Solo Violin (Michael Shapiro)

The Doors in the Sky, Op. 706 (Carson Cooman)

Aires de tango (Jose Serebrier)

I have no axe to grind (Randall Woolf)

Until Next Time (Kenji Bunch)

Arches (Kevin Puts)

Bird as Prophet, Martin Bresnick (violin and piano)

January 28, 2019, 11:57 AM · Hi! Not really minimalist, but it's an awesome piece for solo violin that I played on a recital a few years ago: The Stream Flows by Bright Sheng. Elliott Carter's Four Lauds for solo violin are also great.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic