Wood effect Wittner chin rest

January 23, 2019, 1:55 PM · I saw an image somewhere from a music instrument fair (which I can't find for the life of me) of a Wittner side mount chin rest with a wood-effect finish, that looked boxwood-coloured. Does anybody know where I might find this chin rest available commercially? I know that Wittner produces a rosewood-effect fine tuner tailpiece, which I think looks quite nice. I have boxwood fittings on my violin other than the Wittner chin rest. I'm only concerned about aesthetics at this stage.

Replies (4)

Edited: January 23, 2019, 8:35 PM · I see a lot of concert violinists with mismatched chinrest/tailpiece materials. I use black Wittner chinrests on both of my violins, one of which has boxwood and the other rosewood pegs/tailpiece. Your fingerboard's black. Does that bother you? Don't worry about it.

And sorry, but no, I've never seen Wittner chinrests in any color but black.

Edited: January 23, 2019, 8:43 PM · What if they have a boxwood fingerboard? Cause damn, those look fine.

Nobody sees the chinrest anyways, and if you put priority on aesthetics you may end up sacrficing functionality.

January 23, 2019, 8:56 PM · I'm not going to swap out the black Wittner I have on at the moment unless I can find one that matches! I know plenty of people that have black chin rests with boxwood fittings and I think it looks fine, but I'd prefer it to match if it's possible
January 24, 2019, 8:45 AM · Why not write and contact Wittner directly?

https://www.wittner-gmbh.de/kontakt_e.html

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases