Viola or Viola?

Edited: July 11, 2017, 9:23 PM · So,

Vee-ola, or Veye-ola?

Replies (22)

Edited: July 11, 2017, 10:08 PM · Vee-ola.
July 11, 2017, 10:13 PM · I think its vee ola and veye ola is the flower???
July 12, 2017, 12:54 AM · ..and Vye-er-ler is a charming character from Shakespear!
July 12, 2017, 7:10 AM · Vee-O'-la you play.
VYE'-o-la you grow in your garden (or see, doubling as Cesario) on stage. Not just the vowel, but the accent, too, shifts.
Edited: July 12, 2017, 8:12 AM · https://www.bing.com/search?q=viola+definition&form=IE10TR&src=IE10TR&pc=ASU2JS&pc=EUPP is the phonetic spelling pronunciation.
July 12, 2017, 12:10 PM · I need to get back to practicing my vee-oh-lin.
July 12, 2017, 5:13 PM · I only ask because of an interesting conversation at work.

'What's in the case'

'A viola'

'Isn't it pronounced vyola? Like violin?'

'No, it's Veeola'.

'Why, that doesn't make sense'

----

It doesn't on first look, but I'm assuming it has to do with Italian grammar. It also made me curious, as I'd never heard Vyola before, to see if other people use that pronunciation as well.

July 12, 2017, 5:48 PM · "... let's call the whole thing off."
July 12, 2017, 9:37 PM · There this the Viol which English term for Viola da Gamba, or Leg Viol which is it's own instrument family having very little in common with the Viola or Violin

viĀ·ol
'vi(?)l/Submit
noun
a musical instrument of the Renaissance and baroque periods, typically six-stringed, held vertically and played with a bow.

July 12, 2017, 9:57 PM · Hey Bill;

I always pronounced Viol closer to 'vile' than 'Veeol'.

My dream is to purchase a lovely bass viol. I had the opportunity to purchase one some time back and regretted not doing so immediately. The reason I passed was that 'a real viol has frets'. Younger me did not, at the time, know that the frets are simply tied on where they're wanted, and not inlaid into the fingerboard alla guitar.

July 13, 2017, 4:12 AM · ......you like tomayto, I like tomahto, you like vee-ola, I like vie-ola
Edited: July 13, 2017, 4:39 AM · Correct pronunciation is

Voila!

We have been here before....

July 13, 2017, 12:01 PM · Whenever I see people write "viola" when they mean "voila" I'm tempted to mimic their sentence, ending with "... and viola, a large violin."

You say Carmina, and I say Carmana
You say Burina, and I say Burana
Carmina, Carmana, Burina, Burana
Let's Carl the whole thing Orff.
July 13, 2017, 11:33 PM · The right pronounciation is: "Bratsch". It comes from the sound it makes - when you step on it....
July 14, 2017, 1:40 AM · ..or the sound it makes when we have a solo after an hour and a half of trombones in one ear and the piccolo in the other...
July 15, 2017, 9:44 PM · Viola is a female given name, pronounced "vyola," I believe.
July 17, 2017, 9:40 AM · We've all been deceived. "violino" is pronounced "vee-oh-lee-noh."
July 17, 2017, 5:34 PM · Vee. :)
Edited: July 18, 2017, 1:00 PM · Vee, vie, voe, vum. (German pronunciation?)
July 19, 2017, 8:03 PM · There's an expression, "oy vey" - that's what I say to this discussion :)
I think it's "vey-oh-lah" actually...
July 19, 2017, 8:06 PM · The French have violons. Not to be confused with title loans.
Edited: July 28, 2017, 9:29 AM · As a vee-OH-list, I say "vee-OH-lah."

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Silent Violin
Yamaha Silent Violin

Sejong Music Competition
Sejong Music Competition

Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning
Violinist.com Guide to Online Learning

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Antonio Strad Violin

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop

Bobelock Cases

Fiddlerman.com

Fiddlershop

Los Angeles Violin Shop

Nazareth Gevorkian Violins

Violin-Strings.com

Laurie's Books

Discover the best of Violinist.com in these collections of editor Laurie Niles' exclusive interviews.

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 1, with introduction by Hilary Hahn

Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2
Violinist.com Interviews Volume 2, with introduction by Rachel Barton Pine

Subscribe