Moving Countries without my Violin. Should I Quit?

Edited: January 22, 2019, 7:47 PM · I’m an adult beginner who started playing last year. I am moving to a different country next month and bringing my violin with me is not an option. I’ve been playing on a 45 dollar violin I found second hand online over the past year and my teacher had had no complaints. (Other than telling me that it sounded like a 50 dollar violin but then moved to reassure me that it was alright)

Should I buy another cheap violin (about a hundred dollars?) and hope that I get lucky again, or should I be looking at a step-up violin? I’ve been working on some Handel and Vivaldi over the past months, the latest being Vivaldi’s concerto in G major, just to give everyone an idea where I’m at.

I’ve also considered quitting violin actually. I don’t really want to quit, but I honestly don’t have a compelling reason to continue either other than the fact that I enjoy it. Learning the violin has also been very helpful with my intonation and I have had some musical epiphanies after picking it up. However, it'll be hard juggling work, school and preparing for a piano diploma. :/

Replies (11)

Edited: January 22, 2019, 8:22 PM · When they asked George Mallory why be summited Mount Everest, he replied, "because it's there".
January 22, 2019, 9:13 PM · No need to quit violin unless you don't have enough time to practice. Just buy another violin. It is ideal to go to a store and try some out.
January 22, 2019, 11:15 PM · "I honestly don’t have a compelling reason to continue either other than the fact that I enjoy it."

You need some other kind of reason? I don't.

January 23, 2019, 3:56 AM · However, it'll be hard juggling work, school and preparing for a piano diploma. :/

There must be some sociological term for the widespread feeling of being busier than anyone else.

Most musicians need to push a life with a job (the bread winner), a family (if you think you are busy, wait to have kids...), classes (as student or teacher), and rehearsals. That's the minimum. Many add studying an additional degree and other activities. I think that when we sign for an instrument, we also sign for that lifestyle.

My point is that as busy as you think you are now, it will get worse. Busier, so enjoy your current freedom.

January 23, 2019, 5:19 AM · That is an interesting topic, Carlos. Work hours have decreased significantly over the last century, time spend on household work has decreased thanks to inventions like the dishwasher etc. But we still FEEL the time is not enough. I think part of it is the modern leader style leaving us a lot of freedom to decide how to do our work tasks, but often failing to define when it is good enough. Most things can always be done better...
Also we tend to multitask more - or rather switch between different tasks and none of them really feel done. And we take this pressure with us into the private life. We feel we should run as least as many marathons as friend A, do at least as many house improvement jobs as friend B and practice the violin at least as many hours as friend C.

Back to the original topic - Melissa, I think you should continue to play the violin if you enjoy doing it. Bring the violin, buy a better one whichever works for you (getting a better instrument is always a boost to the interest to play).

January 23, 2019, 7:41 AM · Yeah, get an upgrade. Maybe a $300 violin, if that's not a stretch on your budget.
January 23, 2019, 10:43 AM · Is the rather picky care a violin requires eating into your schedule? I've been wanting to study violin 50 years, but never found myself in a consistent safe environment for a violin. All it takes is a minor failure, and a violin is kindling.

Then, I ran across carbon fiber/composite violins and found one I could afford. Tough as rocks, relatively speaking, and apparently much less maintenance and associated worries. A bit compromised on sound quality compared to a wooden instrument same price. A necessary compromise to hold the bow in my own hand.

Maybe you can find a similar compromise for yourself.

January 23, 2019, 1:59 PM · I find that rigging a bomb to blow up once practice levels dip below two hours per day is a pretty effective reason, until of course they started all the splicing together of takes and really fooled me. But the woman reaching for the handbag always gives it away...
January 24, 2019, 6:22 AM · you have the most significant reason to play the violin, the same as the most of the people (I hope)
January 25, 2019, 7:29 AM · Thanks for the replies, everyone. I am indeed convinced that simply enjoying the instrument and music is reason enough to continue until I can't.

Its almost definitely impossible for me to bring my violin since I'm trying to fit the contents of my entire life into the 30kg I'm allowed on the airplane. Guess I'll hire a teacher and take him/her along to pick out a new violin. Fingers crossed, everyone, and thanks again!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases