Specific Purpose for Each Etude, i.e. Kayser, Kreutzer, etc.

January 22, 2019, 9:09 AM · I wish there was a guide to why we practice certain etudes, specifically what issue each etude addresses, i.e. left hand, right hand, bow distribution, string crossings, etc.

Replies (12)

January 22, 2019, 9:44 AM · https://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=1412
An old thread of mine. Anyways, when I say "Dont" I'm referring to Dont etudes opus 35.
I could make an updated Google Doc or something...
Edited: January 22, 2019, 10:22 AM · violinwiki.org are compiling a violin etude thesaurus "categorized by the skills that [the etudes] develop". Included so far are Wohlfahrt, Kayser, Kreutzer, Mazas op. 36/1, Fiorillo, Rode op. 22 and Gavini├ęs.

https://www.violinwiki.org/wiki/Violin_etude_thesaurus

January 22, 2019, 10:36 AM · Why don't you just look through it and write your own? It's not celestial navigation.
January 22, 2019, 1:40 PM · indeed Rae-Ann seems to ask the question the wrong way, as indeed when you see an etude and try it out you will immediately have a sense of what this etude is about. but probably she really wanted to ask the reverse question: some kind of catalogue that maps techniques to etudes.
January 22, 2019, 3:50 PM · Katarina's comment is very useful, but also, it should be fairly easy to figure out what an etude is focused on. If you see a lot of string crossings, it's probably (at least partly) about string crossings. etc.
January 23, 2019, 12:36 AM · There are editions of etudes where the editor gives hints in the title line of each etude. E.g. Mazas: In the Peters edition you will find titles like "staccato" "trills" etc. Not every etude is so characterized but many of them.
January 23, 2019, 4:41 AM · What Jean said.
January 23, 2019, 9:32 AM · Following up on Albrecht, what does one do with the Kayser study that says "Comodo"? (**Flush!!**)
January 23, 2019, 11:15 AM · I understand this was a joke Paul, but anyway, a Comodo study means: for this one you can focus entirely on tone quality and intonation, don't worry about the tempo.
January 23, 2019, 1:04 PM · Jean, that's interesting! Never knew what that term meant.
I guess I was just like, "a toilet etude! Cool!" and then proceeded to avoid it.
Edited: January 24, 2019, 1:16 AM · I'm not disagreeing with Jean, but you should be working on tone quality and intonation on every piece you ever play, so I can't see the need for a specific ├ętude for it. I'd assume comodo just means "comfortable tempo" (to contrast with the velocity exercises) and I'd play the piece and see what it has to offer.
(I seem to recall Czerny's piano studies are divided into velocity and dexterity exercises)
January 25, 2019, 10:39 AM · Katarina: Thanks for sending info about that site. It's got a lot of what I was looking for.

Andrew: Absolutely!

Jean: Right!

Scott: Yes but... Sometimes I'm playing through an etude and it's helpful to know what exactly to focus on, besides the obvious like intonation.

Thanks everyone for your responses!!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases