Starting up again

January 21, 2019, 8:17 PM · So happy to be starting the violin again, from scratch. After 20+ years of following my career path, than a wonderful visit to Vienna last Sep, and getting my restored violin handed to me Christmas morning in a new case, I started looking to replace the viola bow I have played with for all the time I played before I put it away. In his shop, the fine violins and bow merchant told me I need lessons, and a new bow of course! My Schradiek book and Wohlfahrt books arrived today. I am considering buying a bow that costs 3k, never thought I would spend that for a bow. So I am turning in my Sivori Viola bow for a nice french bow....I love my new teacher, she accpets nothing but what is correct. I enjoy this site and the general comments form real professionals and amateurs like myself.

Replies (5)

January 21, 2019, 8:51 PM · Welcome Matthew. Since you admire and respect your teacher, my only suggestion is to involve her in your choice of new bow.
January 21, 2019, 9:38 PM · Excellent idea, my bow guy recommended her! hahah! Same thing kinda!
January 22, 2019, 6:38 AM · Just so he's not paying her a commission (i.e., a kickback). That kind of stuff happens.
January 22, 2019, 11:57 AM · Commissions (in the context that Paul described) are disgusting. I hate those.
January 22, 2019, 2:14 PM · Mr. Austin,

I know exactly how you feel. Gave up motorcycling to single parent three. Now, one is grown, and nothing I can do with the other two. So, back on motorcycles. Only thing that always puts a smile on.

Well, that, and the faces of little kids never met before who look, wave, and yell out, "Hi, Santa!" in July. I have candy canes year around.

About commissions: Pay direct to the employee so no taxation involved.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases