Backpack-style straps for violin case

January 17, 2019, 10:08 AM · Hello all!

The strap for my case has worn out, and I am looking to replace it. I have a Bobelock case with the option for backpack-style straps, and am interested in getting them so I can bike with my fiddle on my back.

However, there are no Bobelock retail shops in Germany, and I can't find any shopping options without very high shipping costs.

Does anyone know of an alternative that might work with this case? Other backpack-style straps that could be substituted (and that are comfortable for the back)?

Thank you!

Replies (8)

January 17, 2019, 10:57 AM · You can get Gewa branded backpack straps here:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/gewa_backpack_straps_violin_viola_2.htm

Shipping to Germany is listed at €2.99.

Edited: January 17, 2019, 12:34 PM · I think I have a box in my basement with all the backpack straps from all the violin and viola cases that I have ever purchased. Most of them are Bobelock. I don't use them because I've got the Joey. Send me an email (pdeck at vt.edu) and I'll let you know this evening what I've been able to find.
January 17, 2019, 5:46 PM · Thank you! I will!
January 17, 2019, 8:32 PM · I was able to find this ...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/gewa_backpack_straps_violin_viola_2.htm

January 18, 2019, 6:12 AM · I use Gewa straps on my Hiscox oblong violin case, and like them. However, I bought the cello ones rather than the violin or viola ones. I have a long back, and I needed the extra length that they gave. They are also thicker and more padded, hence more comfortable.
Edited: January 18, 2019, 6:50 AM · I would have expected the length to be relatively independent of the *height* of the person. Shouldn't the length depend on the distance between the rings and the general *thickness* of the user in the area of his or her shoulders? (Sorry to use that word but it conveys the geometric concept.)

Just for curiosity I also calculated the difference in length whether you've got two rings on either side at the top vs. one in the center. I assumed a vertical distance of 24", ring-to-ring and a horizontal distance of 8". The difference was less than half an inch (hypotenuse of 24" x 4" right triangle is 24.3"). However, the difference could be larger because with center rings the straps must pass over more of one's person.

January 18, 2019, 10:30 AM · I will try the Gewa straps and report back. Thanks all!
January 18, 2019, 10:30 AM · I will try the Gewa straps and report back. Thanks all!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic