My rosin causes my eyes to water and my nose to run?

January 15, 2019, 7:33 AM · ^see title.

I use Liebenzeller Gold II rosin, and I’ve had to resort to applying it sparingly on my bow to avoid dust getting into my face every time I play.

(if it helps, I always wipe down my violin after I play and I got my bow re-haired recently)

Replies (15)

January 15, 2019, 7:35 AM · You could be allergic to rosin, or you might be using a rosin that creates more than the usual amount of dust. There is something called hypoallergenic rosin that you could try for a week and see if it helps.
January 15, 2019, 8:13 AM · Paul, the rosin I’ve been using claims to produce little dust (despite me barely applying it). Do you know of any hypo-allergenic rosin brands by any chance?
January 15, 2019, 8:25 AM · Pirastro Goldflex rosin was the only rosin of the dozens I have used over 80 years of violin playing that irritated my eyes. It did not bother me when I used it on my cello bows (for playing cello). The Liebenzeller gold rosins did not bother my eyes.

But there are so many other great rosins available.

January 15, 2019, 8:44 AM · Isn't Jade supposed to be hypoallergenic?
January 15, 2019, 9:10 AM · I don't know if Jade is supposed to be hypoallergenic but I had a student who had problems even with some rosins that were supposed to be hypoallergenic, and Jade worked for her. I do not like Clarity at all.
January 15, 2019, 10:55 AM · The metal additive, in this case gold, can make the allergic reaction worse, make the allergen more potent. An MD on the panel would be able to explain that.
January 15, 2019, 11:07 AM · Clarity is the only one that claims to be hypoallergenic. Jade is "somewhat hypoallergenic" etc. Clarity is made by super-sensitive. There is also one called "Magic Rosin" that is a highly purified type of rosin, and I've known students who say they're less sensitive to that. It comes down to whether you're allergic to the actual rosin main ingredient (abietic acid) or other minor ingredients and "impurities". Your best bet is to call Shar or Johnson String and ask what their customers have found works for them.
January 15, 2019, 12:04 PM · Super Sensitive makes a hypo-allergenic rosin out of synthetic resin. Not a fan of synthetic anything but if you're reacting to the larch resin in the Larica, that might help.

I use Larica Gold I and now Gold II in the winter and both give of very little dust IMO.

January 15, 2019, 12:46 PM · I'd say try Magic or Jade.
My friend has Jade. Very nice, but wears off too quickly for my taste. Also, it might make your bow hair turn just a tiny bit green, but who cares. And Magic, I've heard, is pretty good.
Don't use Clarity. It sucks.
January 15, 2019, 2:42 PM · Welcome Emilia, I think the Magic brand would be a good one for you to try although I have found it dustier than most.
January 15, 2019, 5:11 PM · Although I love it for the playability, grip, and tone, the Guillaume rosin is supposed to be hypoallergenic, and it's nowadays more affordable than it used to be (though the wooden case seems to be out of production.) Really "beautiful sounding rosin"-if such a thing does exist. Since I "discovered" this Guillaume rosin, I honestly do not wish to try any other-and there are many good rosins there.
January 15, 2019, 7:25 PM · Needless to say, to make a good test you'll need to clean your bow with denatured alcohol before applying the new rosin, and scrub your strings clean with a cloth.
January 16, 2019, 6:52 AM · Fascinating how much people are allergic at rosin. I am glad I do not have a reaction from anything. I hope it will not appear. I am experimenting with rosins right now, I am using light one, it is for viola but I get it from my luthier like a gift with the recommendation that it is really good and I feel it is really so good.
January 16, 2019, 12:48 PM · As the developer of Clarity, I'd like to offer a few comments. First, rosin allergies are common and one can develop them after many years of exposure. Once sensitized the reaction can be very strong and I've corresponded with many violinists over the years who've had to greatly curtain playing or even give up their careers in a couple of cases. Second, Clarity is the ONLY bow rosin on the market that is hypoallergenic and it has enabled sensitive people to continue playing. And third, the violin grade of Clarity is on the hard, low tack end of the spectrum. People who don't like the violin grade are usually people that like softer rosins. The viola grade of Clarity is significantly softer and worth a try. After all, the only real playability difference among grades of rosin is their relative hardness.
January 18, 2019, 7:08 AM · I personally think Guillaume rosin is the best and is hypoallergenic. I wrote an article on rosin no too long ago: https://adbowsllc.com/2018/09/25/all-things-rosin/

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic
Joshua Bell and the Los Angeles Philharmonic

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings