“Duets” with Piano

January 14, 2019, 2:29 PM · Hey all. I am now playing with a friend of mine who is an amazing pianist and we are searching for repitoire. We want it to be mutually challenging rather than a super easy violin part and extreme piano part or vice versa. Any piece or composer suggestions?

Replies (6)

Edited: January 14, 2019, 2:52 PM · This will give you a list of 4,132 works for violin and piano:
https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:For_violin,_piano

Or you could select any specific composer and do an IMSLP search from Google.com such as
" IMSLP Beethoven violin, piano sonatas "

which will get you to this:
http://conquest.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/9/94/IMSLP296419-PMLP480620-B_VS_all_v_pt.pdf

for example!

And on and on and on!

Edited: January 14, 2019, 3:09 PM · Good question! As far as I know, there are only 3 pieces which fit into the category of chamber music, while very clearly simultaneously being virtuoso pieces for both instruments:

Schubert Rondo in B minor, Schubert Fantasie in C major, and Kabalevsky Rondo. All are very exciting and beautiful pieces :) Quite often sonatas are very piano heavy and showpieces are violin heavy, so for me these pieces represent the perfect balance.

The Kabalevsky is virtually unknown and unplayed (except in Australia for some odd reason), so here is a link

January 14, 2019, 3:24 PM · Note that for most sonatas the challenge is musical more so than it is technical.

You could try the Strauss sonata. Very difficult piano part, moderately difficult violin part, and a ton of ensemble challenges.

January 14, 2019, 4:36 PM · Seems to me that Beethoven's Kreutzer Sonata is not an easy ride for either player.
January 14, 2019, 4:56 PM · The Franck sonata is interesting for both players
January 14, 2019, 5:50 PM · Beethoven's violin sonata number 1 is fun for both instruments and just the right level of difficulty to avoid frustration.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic