Choose Gut strings match plain gut A strings

January 13, 2019, 11:41 PM · I Love Gut strings which give me lot of character of tone, Eudoxa D and G I use on my violin, sounds are perfect but very slow response. any people can tell me which brands of any strings can replace those and have bit fast response and maintain similar tone match of my plain A Gut Strings.

Thanks

Replies (8)

January 14, 2019, 5:09 AM · Regular Eudoxas or Stiff?
If you were with the regular, try the stiffs. I think they give good response and resistance to the bow.
If you were with the Stiffs, I am not sure what to suggest other than the obvious Passione. I have not tried Tricolore and other popular guts, but I will be interested on hearing other how do they compare in response and bow resistance. I know that the sound is really good.
January 14, 2019, 5:47 AM · I would recommend Passione if you want faster response.
January 14, 2019, 7:16 AM · Different rosins might affect the response time of your strings. They certainly can change the sound generated.
January 14, 2019, 12:50 PM · I agree with Mr. Victor-rosin (or its application) may be affecting the rrsponse of thr Eudoxas. I still have my old Eudoxa stiff G&D and they have faster response than many old synthetics would-VERY easy to play and respond.

I also have them currently paired with a plain gut Tricolore A-the tonal color is different, but not so much that it's "dark, low volume G&D", vs "loud, bright A". For all practical purposes they work fine together. If sticking to wound gut G&D, also try Tricolore's wound gut G&D.

I think steel is very responsive, but I have never understood why gut is marketed as less responsive than synthetics. Anyone has an idea? Some synthetics are way less responsive than all gut strings I have used, in my experience.

January 14, 2019, 12:59 PM · I am also puzzled as to why gut strings are described as "slow" by the synthetic string makers. They are more flexible, less inertia. They did not seem to slow down Mr. Heifetz.
January 14, 2019, 6:29 PM · I think gut has slower response than synthetics simply because the diameter is much larger and it takes more energy to start moving, at least it feels that way. Funnily enough, this is why I love gut strings. The slow response means that playing nearer to the bridge and starting strokes on the string is necessary. That 'kkkk' start up of the sound is what gives articulation in a large hall.
January 14, 2019, 8:01 PM · Mr. Dong,

Yes, but also no, in this regard-it's tough to make modern synthetics move unless you apply considerable "pressure" ("weight", etc.) Even pure gut requires much less weight to move and sing with ease.

Just warming up right now with my gut strings (including Eudoxa), and they seem pretty "fast" to me!

I do agree I *love* the gut click sound, which is different than that which can be obtained with synthetics.

Did not mean to contradict you for "fun"-I understand where you are coming from, but I find synthetics "harder" to move, and therefore "slower" from my perspective.

Best of luck to all, whatever strings you prefer.

Edited: January 14, 2019, 8:20 PM · Slow response might be caused by a higher gauge. Some violins sound better with light gauge, no matter if material is gut or synthetic. This especially if it is a long pattern with longer VSL. Then, behaviour of G string depends so much on bass-bar that it is altogether another can of gutless worms.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic