Octave stringed violin?

January 13, 2019, 3:16 PM · Hi, I'm a Viola player but like a second instrument I've always been looking for lower pitches without change the way of playing (under the chin). Lately I've heard a lot about specialized strings that allows a normal size violin (and/or viola) plays an octave lower than its regular range. My problem comes deciding which instrument should I buy, there are a lot of reviews saying that kind of strings works perfectly in a 4/4 violin but I think a small viola (about 15") could work better due to the size. What do you think about it? Is it worth it or should I wait and buy a real tenor violin?

Replies (5)

January 13, 2019, 5:00 PM · NO. DO NOT BUY THEM.

Octave strings are a silly invention.

January 14, 2019, 6:19 AM · There are several recent discussions on this forum.
I would recommend to go for no lower than octave violin, but on as large a viola as you can handle.
Edited: January 14, 2019, 7:13 AM · I have tried OCTAVE viola strings on a 16-inch viola and the top 3 strings worked pretty nicely but the lower 5th of C string could not engage the instrument's resonance enough to be useful. The strings might work on a different instrument's body.

You do have to give to some thought about how you string up an instrument with these thick strings. I reversed the pegs normally used for G and C strings to avoid too large a bend angle on the thick C string.

I have decided not to even fool around with the OCTAVE violin strings even though I have a set and the OCTAVE violin strings might be too short for a normal size viola - might have to be strung too tight.

My intention was to be able to carry my violin/viola double case to a quartet or "serenades" session and be able to play any part that might be missing a player, but it is pretty hard, even for a "triple-hitter," to sight-read cello parts on a chin instrument.

January 14, 2019, 7:11 AM · My next instrument will be a viola, not an octave-strung violin.
January 14, 2019, 2:04 PM · Some of us have done GDAE tuning on a viola (octave below violin) with some success. If you play with a pickup it makes the low strings a more viable option.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Warchal Metronome

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop