Even faster: Chuck Norris speed 16th Paganini Caprice

Edited: January 9, 2019, 9:48 PM · In every violinist career there comes a time when you reach a point where only true talent can take you even further. That is, of course, when you are forced to make a lifetime decision: to speed the hell up or to play boring slow classy pieces forever.

So this is a call, for every single soloist out there, to encourage you to share in this post the fastest possible playing capabilities you've got under the hood. I'm talking about Chuck Norris speed here, go big or go home. Play Paganini's 24th under 2 minutes, 16th under 30 seconds, play Spring Sonata under 20 seconds, play Frank sonata under 45 seconds. I challenge you!

Remember Heifetz once said:
"Only a true maestro will be capable of transform a violino into a fire pit"

Replies (13)

January 9, 2019, 10:03 PM · This reminds me of being nine years old and wanting to play the Fiocco Allegro as fast as possible.

I was well into my teens before my musical conceptions got beyond "play it really fast". (But still clean, I'll note.)

Edited: January 9, 2019, 10:14 PM · WE all had those speed contests and the Fiocco Allegro was a common target. And Fiorillo No. 28. But we were KIDS then.

The thing is, teachers DO need to teach kids how to play fast. They SHOULD be encouraging that, to a degree.

Edited: January 10, 2019, 1:59 AM · Rim ripond,
I'm for the challenge.

And actully Chuck Norris brings me a good new idea:
Playing paganini caprice fully fast can be something "Expected".
Maybe the next step will be able to do it with some challenge:
Let's say do it with 1kg weight tied to the hand, or while pedaling on exercise bike (i have one at home, and i will try it)...

January 10, 2019, 2:19 AM · You must lead by example, OP.
January 10, 2019, 9:36 AM · Fast is only one leg of the virtuoso "tripod."

One must aspire to play loud, fast, and high.

January 10, 2019, 9:49 AM · Loud, fast and high... Jesus, how beautiful! That's exactly the style which got me started with the violin!
Edited: January 11, 2019, 10:35 AM · I'm currently in the middle of the Fiocco Allegro fast-as-possible contest with my 9yo! She's driving me insane with it. Play it slow and clean, kid!
January 11, 2019, 1:24 PM · Has she heard the 11-year-old Menuhin? :-)

Here: LINK

January 11, 2019, 2:26 PM · Oh no, not showing her that!!!!
January 11, 2019, 3:38 PM · It's both fast and clean! :-)
January 11, 2019, 6:39 PM · Thanks for the link Lydia as i really enjoyed that Menuhin clip.
January 12, 2019, 3:35 AM · Actually it isnt so hard to play while pedaling on exercise bike.
I will upload one "good" version of the 16 caprice on it later.
January 12, 2019, 7:18 AM · Caprice No.16 by Paganini on A BIKE
Also - I played here very fast- among the fastest in the world - 1:29.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Warchal Metronome

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop