For Violin & String Orchestra

Edited: January 6, 2019, 12:53 AM · Any good works out there for violin and string orchestra (preferably from the 20th Century, I don't need to play the Four Seasons again)? I'm looking ahead to May when I get to solo with my school chamber orchestra on a work/movement shorter than ten minutes.

In terms of my ability, I'm polishing the first movement of the Glazunov Concerto right now.

The chamber orchestra is quite skilled (we played Ginastera's First Quartet as a string orchestra last year), so ensemble ability shouldn't be a problem unless it's something crazy hard like Berio or Schnittke.

Thanks! :)

Replies (7)

January 6, 2019, 1:25 AM · The Glazunov is a single-movement concerto. Are you basically saying that you've only worked on the opening but will learn the whole thing? Or that's all that your teacher intends to teach -- i.e. the rest of the work is beyond your technical level?

Post history suggests you were playing the Bruch two years ago, so current level is unclear.

January 6, 2019, 1:36 AM · 1. The lesser-played Mendelssohn D Minor concerto uses a string orchestra.

2. Kreisler is always a good choice, and there are many decent string orchestra arrangements of the piano score. Praeludium and Allegro, and the Concerto in C Major in the Style of Vivaldi come to mind.

3. Andreas Makris created an enjoyable setting of the Bach E Major Preludio with string orchestra you can find on IMSLP: https://imslp.org/wiki/Prelude_in_E_major_for_Violin_and_Strings_(Makris%2C_Andreas)

January 6, 2019, 2:04 AM · Although the Glazunov's structured as a single movement, recordings generally split it up into three sections.

When I say the 'first movement', I'm referring to the content up until the Piu Animato section about eighth minutes into the work. That's what I'm learning right now, but should I continue with my current teacher into college (he's the professor at my safety state school), I'll finish the rest of the piece with him.

I'm also doing the Bach G Minor Sonata and have learned two of the easier Paganini Caprices (16, 19) if that helps.

January 6, 2019, 10:32 AM · There's always Vitali Chaconne! There is also an arrangement for string orchestra of Meditation.
January 6, 2019, 1:40 PM · Thought of one more: Arutiunian Concerto. It is really nice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWs3Lk8DEYw I'm not sure if it is hard to get the parts though. It's from the 1980s so still under copyright.
January 13, 2019, 6:56 PM · What about Fantasie, aka Scene de Ballet,by deBeriot.... Good times!
January 13, 2019, 9:11 PM · A student at the Glazunov level shouldn't be playing anything like Scene de Ballet. They should be doing fully professional repertoire.

For works in the public domain, IMSLP's catalog for "violin, strings" and "violin, strings, continuo" is a good resource: LINK no-continuo - LINK continuo

How about the Vaughan Williams D-minor violin concerto ("Concerto Academico") or the Schubert A-major Rondo?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases