Keeping the violin still

January 2, 2019, 10:31 PM · Hello,

I am looking for advice on how to keep the violin still while playing. I took a video of myself and noticed that the scroll was moving quite a bit. When I have practiced playing with the scroll set against the wall, I've noticed an improvement right away in terms of tone and volume. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

https://youtu.be/A1FBi7K0fvs

Replies (3)

January 2, 2019, 10:33 PM · The first things you need to decide are (1) under what circumstances does your scroll move up? or down? or left or right? and (2) why do you care?
Edited: January 2, 2019, 11:26 PM · Your violin is basically vertical. Holy cow. I like to keep my violin at an angle too, but you take it to the next level, man.

As for the shaky scroll, ignore it. The reason you project better against a wall is because the wall amplifies your strings just like the soundboard does. The violin moving during vibrato is of no consquence unless it's so bad your bow is affected. But you'd really have to swing your arm for that to happen.

January 2, 2019, 11:46 PM · I'm confused--the video you posted shows very little movement of your scroll. If that's representative of your concern, please stop worrying. You are well within the norms of playing--in fact, on the continuum from statue to Lindsey Stirling, you are much closer to the statue end.

You need to get away from the tip of the bow, though. You played almost that entire excerpt in the upper 25% of the bow. That prevents you from getting more sound! When my students play like that in a lesson, I hand them a 1/4 size bow and have them play with that instead of the full-sized bow.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Warchal Metronome

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop