Duo Violin Piece options

January 2, 2019, 12:53 AM · Happy New Year everyone!

Could you help me by proposing a duo Violin piece (First & Second Violin) for two of us. Our choices are Bach, Vivaldi or Mozart.

PS: We are currently at Grade 6 and 7 (Trinity College of London) in Violin.

Replies (16)

January 2, 2019, 1:17 AM · Does it have to be one of those three composers? If you’re both good at counting, you might enjoy one of the Telemann Canonic Duos.
January 2, 2019, 1:50 AM · Thanks Mary.

Not necessarily those three composers only.

Can you share any idea on any specific Telemann Canonic Duos?

January 2, 2019, 8:54 AM · I like the first or the second better than the others.
January 2, 2019, 8:58 AM · The Canonic Duos are straightforward enough that you could just sight-read them to determine which you want to perform.
January 2, 2019, 10:23 AM · Leclair's are really nice, I'm thinking number 5, but they are all pretty nice.

V.com's own James Dong posted a really nice two-movement duo here:

https://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=1946

January 2, 2019, 11:33 AM · Heifetz did a 2-violin arrangement of the Handel-Halvorsen duo.
January 2, 2019, 12:29 PM · There are always the Bartok duos, although they are relatively short.

I am not sure Bach, Vivaldi or Mozart actually wrote duos for two violins. There are Bach and Vivaldi concerti for two violins, which are very good.

January 2, 2019, 1:29 PM · Here is a duet option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Leek5AtfNYg

January 3, 2019, 10:07 PM · Thanks everyone for your comments.
January 4, 2019, 3:30 AM · Some more suggestions :

_ Helmut Lipsky ("Voyage a deux", volume 2)

_ Bartok 44 violin duets (some are too hard for beginers, but some are affordables)

_ Igudesman ("Pigs can fly", "the Catscratchbook", "a fish summernight's dream), not hard but very funy to play.

_ Shostakovich duets (initialy for 2 violins and piano, but I use to give them to my students without piano and it also sounds well enough).

January 4, 2019, 9:07 AM · Is it for fun, for a performance (if so, what kind of performance) or for something else? There are SO many duos available.
Edited: January 5, 2019, 4:56 PM · The Bartok duos are short but they are great, unlike a lot of other violin duos. Also: They are written for students which is why they are ordered by difficulty with the least demanding ones (technically) coming first. You can choose a few of them and play them as a "suite".

You could try Mazas. A lot of his duos are on IMSLP and they come for people at various playing levels. Though for some reason I find them less satisfying than his etudes.

January 6, 2019, 6:22 AM · I have seen Perlman and Zukerman do some of the Bartok duos in performance, so those would clearly be acceptable choices. They come in various levels of difficulty, and there are 44 of them, so plenty to choose from.
January 7, 2019, 11:15 PM · I'll try out the Bartok duo pieces. Thank you.

Bonny: This is not for a performance currently. We are just starting to play duo pieces.

Edited: January 10, 2019, 5:54 PM · Another good Telemann choice would be the Sonatas for 2 flutes or violins TWV 40:101-106. Many of Mozart's duos for horns KV487 can be played 'as is' on violins; others can be modified slightly to be played on violins.
January 10, 2019, 3:43 PM · Mazas duos are quite nice and short

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases