Talking to non-violinists about why I don't like pop violinists. (vent)

December 29, 2018, 11:22 PM · I haven't seen this talking point, and I need help with it. I have a job in which I end up sharing a bit about my personal life.

"I am a violinist." I Say "I play classical music, but play a lot of bluegrass for money."

Then they make a wild leap and say.
"You must love Lindsey Sterling!" or "Did you see so and so from America's got talent?"
Or David Garret, Vanessa Mae... The 15 notes a second guy from BBC... I accept that these musicians could possibly act as a... gateway drug to the classical world. And if some producer paid me a bunch of money to grow out my sideburns and do cartwheels with an electric cello da spalla I would probably sell out...

I have fought with this question, and quietly bit my lip since childhood. I am an impossible snob when it comes to violin, and music in general. I like tradition, whether that is academic, classical, or folk such as Eastern European, bluegrass, or Irish.

I always squirmed and gagged at whatever PBS special was currently "IT" Celtic Women, Riverdance, Yanni... Overproduced, nontraditional, inane, irritating... "If I see one more shirtless dude pounding a drum, I am going to start strangling baby seals!" I would say. (No harm has come to any animals)

So maybe I am just getting that off my chest and venting... But if you were me and had to have some polite discourse, how would you tell people, politely, that you can't stand any of the people that I mentioned above?

Replies (49)

December 29, 2018, 11:43 PM · I explain it by analogy: I consider these acts the Taco Bell, Sushi Boy, and Panda Express of the instrumental music world.

Certainly, those restaurants have their appeal, and I've enjoyed going there a couple times in the recent past, but if I want to get into what people from Mexico, Japan, or China actually eat on a day-to-day basis, or what the more ethnically-specific eats are for someone who grew up in certain regions of those countries, I will need to invest significantly more time and resources into exploring those places.

Developing a palate for food is like developing a palate for music. For example, I know plenty of people who will never gobble up fresh uni (sea urchin) or listen to experimental jazz, but that's up to them to decide, not me. Conversely, if I don't enjoy going to McDonald's or listening to Britney Spears, there shouldn't be some expectation that I should like something just because it's popular.

December 30, 2018, 12:57 AM · I am pleased when any musician makes good money. The mainstream classical world has a surplus of expert players who are not very interesting to watch.
December 30, 2018, 3:19 AM · Just tell them there are much better music than Lindsey Sterling, and introduce them to the thing you like, or invite them to your performance!

Normal people doesn't have the same training you do. They might not even know who Bach is. The only violin music they are expose to is what's play on TV. Being dismissive and cynical doesn't help. If you want to change their musical taste, you are better off playing the part to help them.

December 30, 2018, 3:20 AM · Placing David Garrett in the same box as the 15-second-fastest-player guy shows ignorance about violin playing in general.

December 30, 2018, 3:42 AM · Gabe, they're probably just trying to relate to you, engage in conversation, and show interest by sharing what little they know of violin playing... what they have seen on TV. A friendly gesture, in other words.

I thought Gene's Taco Bell and McDonalds analogies were cute though.

When I tell a non-violinist that I'm a violin maker, and they go off about this guy they've heard about named Stradiguarnerius, or start telling me about this valuable fiddle Grandpa used to own, I try to be patient. ;-)

December 30, 2018, 5:58 AM · I agreed with the previous answers. You can put it nicely like: "I heard about them, but I'm not a big fan of their music"
Edited: December 30, 2018, 6:28 AM · "When I tell a non-violinist that I'm a violin maker, and they go off about this guy they've heard about named Stradiguarnerius, or start telling me about this valuable fiddle Grandpa used to own, I try to be patient."

Try being an ex mainframe computer programmer (with zero interest in computers) and having everyone you know imagine you can fix their laptops over the phone!

(I don't even try to be patient)

I don't even like "the artist formerly known as Kennedy".

Edited: December 30, 2018, 7:10 AM · Just think how much worse it would be if you played classical guitar or piano. Growing up, you would not believe the number of people who were impressed with my "talent" because I could play the "Linus and Lucy" theme from Charlie Brown TV specials on the piano. Then very quickly the tables were turned, and I had to grudgingly acknowledge the virtuosity of Billy Joel and so on. Now that I teach "alternative" piano (improv in pop and jazz genres, etc.), the shoe is on the other foot again, and it's up to me to explain what made Joel's music work for him and his fans. Besides the phenomenon of rock stardom which is largely intractable, how did he structure his piano solos? What kinds of chords did he use? How did he lay them down?

My advice is that indignation, condescension, and snark will win few admirers. Better to say, "Yeah, Stirling's got game. It's not really full-blown classical virtuosity, and it's not my cup of tea artistically, but she sure does sell one hell of a lot of records." Find some way to be positive without selling your soul. When the urge to club baby seals re-emerges, take a deep breath. Or a pill.

December 30, 2018, 7:46 AM · You could always respond by asking them what it is they like about those performers. It's just conversation fodder anyway. You're not selling your soul to respond graciously.

When Lindsey Stirling comes up on this board, I will be honest about her violinistic abilities if that is the topic under discussion, but in casual conversation I will focus on what I can honestly praise--her marketing acumen, her inventiveness, her appeal to a broad audience.

Edited: December 30, 2018, 11:58 AM · When you see and hear one of the violinists up on a stage there may be a hidden story. I have one.

Back in 1965 our community orchestra finally hired a professional conductor, Michael Zearott. At the time he was a PhD candidate (and superb pianist) at UCLA.

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Zearott )

He conducted our orchestra for 2 seasons. I don't know how he could stand it - his least impressive gigs before that had been conducting the Carmen Dragon orchestra - the next summer he was music director and conductor of the Ojai Festival, and went on to be music director of the San Diego Symphony. For our second season he brought along a 25 year old violin soloist, Bobby Notkoff, who was just coming off a long hiatus (we were told it was drug related). Notkoff performed Beethoven's Op. 50 Romance with us. I got a copy of the audio tape - and to this day it is the most beautiful, expressive performance of that music I have ever heard. The next summer he was the concertmaster at the Ojai Festival under Zearott.

I tracked down Notkoff on line about 50 years later and found out he had become a "rock violinist." This Violinist.com thread induced me to track him again early this morning and I learned he had died a few months ago and his impressive obituary was published on line - you might never know where these people "up there" have been:

( http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/santafenewmexican/obituary.aspx?n=bobby-notkoff&pid=190641932 )

The night before that concert back in 1965 I was invited to a little "jam session" of chamber music at one of our cellists homes where we got to play some chmaber music with Zearot and Notkoff. During a break, Notkoff and Zearott played an "impoptu" Mozart violin concerto with no sheet music - Zearott playing the orchestra part on piano.

Another "mixed media" violinist I am watching now is Jan Purat. Jan graduated from high school a year ahead of my grandson (a guitarist, singer and songwriter) with whom he played music at school and busked together at the "city square" during lunch hours until a nasty cop kicked them out (I've seen that cop - he got me for jay-walking once, that's how I know he is nasty). They both went to college at UC Santa Cruz, where Purat got a degree in violin performance. While there they started a band (Steep Ravine), first as pretty much a Blue Grass group (ranged at times from mostly quintet down to trio) and ended up adding some jazz and their own compositions. The existed for 5 years - put out 3 CDs and then quit for economic reasons (and my grandson went back to finish his last year of college). But Jan Purat is still out there performing and as a classical violinist, he has a special sound for these genres, as did Notkoff.

December 30, 2018, 8:56 AM · Thanks for the replies! I did like the fast food analogy. And The points about not being dismissive. Great ideas for talking to the layperson.

"Why yes, I have heard David Garret. He's pretty good! Not a huge fan of some of his tune selections." That still sounds snobby. haha. I'll work on it.

Sidetracking them by talking about Stirling's marketing acumen sounds amazing.

My dad is a chef who fights the same battles, but at times with even less grace than me.
"Rachael Ray is my fav!!!" Steam visibly escapes his ears...

And the mainframe analogy is also good... So you can help me make my facegram work on my ipowermacchromebookimibob?? (pm me) ;]

In the future, I might mention the Menuhin Competition or From the Top. I might be a crass, sarcastic fuddy duddy, but I am still impressed by a 10 years old laying waste (in a good way) to some Wieniawski!

December 30, 2018, 10:12 AM · Pop violinists are kind of like cheap Australian Shiraz -- sweet, fruity, designed to be enjoyable for people who are new to wine.

As people drink more wine, their tastes mature and in a few years maybe Yellow Tail shiraz is no longer satisfying -- they move on to fruity California Cabernet and Spanish Rioja. And quite a few years after that maybe they're drinking dry, earthy French wine. Wine drinking is a progression starting with essentially soda pop and ending with something that is complex and unquestionably art.

So maybe, for a lot of people, music works the same way. Maybe there are people out there who start with Lindsay Stirling or Andre Rieu and eventually progress to real classical music.

I know people who started with the Pachelbel Canon and the Four Seasons and progressed into a real appreciation of baroque music. Maybe people progress from Rieu and Strauss waltzes to Bruckner, Dvorak, Brahms, Chopin -- whose music frequently draws from 19th century folk tunes and dances. Maybe people start with Beethoven's greatest hits in an electronic pop mix and end up, some years later, listening to the late quartets?

I personally can't stand pop violinists. It makes me sad when I see great players having to play pop music -- the Philadelphia Orchestra doing "Star Wars" concerts to sell tickets. But I think this stuff really is necessary -- to help pay the bills now and also to try to develop an audience for the future.

Wasn't Niccolo Paganini a pop violinist?

December 30, 2018, 10:25 AM · I think that the "art music" distinction versus "popular music" distinction has worsened over time and is one of the reasons that by some measures, classical music is struggling.

I do not judge the violinists of different genres by the standards of classical. And the players of those different genres would have legitimate critiques of classical violinists by their standards, too.

I enjoy a lot of different genres of music. I could listen to Star Wars ad infinitum. I've enjoyed hearing David Garrett play live (I'd consider him a crossover artist, and he's a very fine classical player, as you can see on YouTube). I've heard Lindsey Stirling bits on YouTube and while it's not especially to my taste, I understand her appeal.

I appreciate and enjoy a McDonald's Big Mac for what it is, even if I also consider myself very much a foodie.

Snobbery says more about the person than the people that they are judging.

December 30, 2018, 11:18 AM · I started violin at 13 and was mainly exposed the the pop music of the day before this. A lot of music I would now regard as trite were actually meaningful to me at the time and I can still feel the nostalgia to this day! Nostalgia and association is how most people find meaning in music, even us. I think we have to accept that we are not in control of how people relate to music and that their criteria is not the same as ours.
I've played a lot of different genres and have learnt that you have to get inside the music's value system, which is often vastly different from classical music. David Garrett may have decent chops as a classical violinist but obviously has no clue when it comes to the style of some of the music he is playing. I do feel that the classical violin world is more focussed on technique and virtuosity than ever before and really, most people are not looking for that.
Certainly their is a lot of rubbish out there but we still have to be respectful when somebody tells us how much that rubbish means to them. There is a also a lot of meaningless classical playing that goes unchallenged. Beware of arrogance and eventual bitterness!!
December 30, 2018, 12:01 PM ·
Maybe Lindsey Sterling, David Garret, Vanessa Mae and many other violinist playing, "Their" music, and making money from doing it, show their ability of marketing and of successful communication with the public.
Why does that hurt anyone? People are listening to their music, so more power to them.
December 30, 2018, 12:09 PM · Conversations with family: -

"Perry Como is boring"
"He's made a lot of money!"

"Johnny Rotten is terrible"
"So what?"

Snobbishness is terrible, though, I agree. Somewhere recently I recall reading "$6,000 violins sound like cigar boxes". Now where was that, I wonder?

Edited: December 30, 2018, 12:21 PM · Yeah, I like MacDonalds, but I average about one a year.

Conversations with family: -

"Perry Como is boring"

"Johnny Rotten can't sing"
"So what?"

Snobbishness is terrible, though, I agree. Somewhere recently I recall reading "$6,000 violins sound like cigar boxes". Now where was that, I wonder?

December 30, 2018, 2:26 PM · For the record, I enjoy playing Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc pops concerts. It’s a nice change of pace and a different audience.
December 30, 2018, 2:36 PM · "I am an impossible snob when it comes to violin, and music in general."

Maybe that's the problem :)

I admire Lindsey Stirling for her inventiveness and her behind-the-scenes videos are fascinating. There's some good in all those you listed and people are just trying to connect with you. No need to be an unpleasant snob — Classical music don't need more of that.

December 30, 2018, 2:37 PM · David Garrett is a great violinist. I don’t care for the pop stuff he plays, but that doesn’t take away from how good he is.
December 30, 2018, 7:03 PM · Sure, but he is not very good at playing pop stuff (imho)!
December 30, 2018, 10:39 PM · Hi! First post and I hope it will make some sense...

I do not know much about playing the violin (1st year adult student) but I know quite a bit about snobism. I love classical music even though I would not be a good judge of the technicality of the musicians. I tend to like pop violin music and I would not be a good critic of that neither. I read the analogy with fast food and gourmet cuisine and I appreciate it because of another analogy I will attempt in a few moments. About restaurants, I think that one can find junk or gourmet to their taste but prefering one over the other is somehow meaningless: they are so different that depending on the mood, time of the day or budget, one is better suited to an occasion than the other. It is possible to be disappointed by bad or wasted gourmet food or to be unable to appreciate it. Talking about gourmet food to one who does not know it exists can be long and tenuous. The only certainty is that there is an alternative to junk and that it may be worth a try or two...

The other analogy I would like to suggest is horse riding. English tack vs western tack vs no tack. I will just skip the part about the welfare of the horse vs the riding method. Classical equitation relates to classical violin: technics to master, discipline, body control, precision of every move, drills, required dedication and assiduity, aiming for beauty and balance, levels of progression. By contrast, western riding looks more objective-driven, has roots in working on large lands and seems to take a lot of shortcuts compared to classical. When I wanted to learn how to ride a horse, I went for classical equitation lessons, bought books and wanted to do well. It was a great experience, I learned a lot about the impact of the rider on the horse, I learned to care about my every move in order to get the perfect response. It was gratifying and I miss that time. I ended the journey because of the money pit it is and of an increasing fear of the sport itself. Like violin, one can spend a lifetime learning and perfecting oneself, always finding a coach to reach higher levels.

The thing was that I did it in a land of western riding. All the other riders I knew had no concern whatsoever about the why and the how of what I was learning. They just saddled up and went riding and never bothered about whether their leg was too far back or their hands to high. Even then, their horse was going where they wanted to at the speed they chose. So, from a simple point of view: no difference in the results of either equitation. This is a good example: a classical rider shifts his weight to the front to stop when the western rider shifts his weight to the back. Same result, a stopped horse. But... the classical side can list a handful of reasons why the western side should not do so, even if all evidence shows it works! I just love to play with snobism when I talk to a western rider (whom I know well, because it could be viewed as impolite). Why? because of the personal investment to learn classical that the western rider skipped. He may see that as a need to convince myself of what I am talking about, as a way to justify the drills and time spent *working* on my equitation when he spent the same time *enjoying* his. But it is always a good laugh in the end.

It is probably similar between classical violinists and pop violinists. One may or may not like pop violin but as long as it sounds good, conveys feeling and energy, and is melodic, then it is music to those who enjoy it. Pop violinist may have inferior skills or a non-academic (hair?) style, but they can be good at what they do. My experience with horse riding makes me think that the one who gets the intended results is "superior" to the one who does not but applies the right technics. At my sub-abysmal level, I would give anything to be able to play a Stirling score and would be quite happy with that. Snobism makes one think that with great technicality comes great sound. I fully embrace that notion as I *know* that the more I will work on it, the better player I will be. However until that time, any technically messy pop player who does not play out of tune is worthy of my consideration. Skills can always be learned but cannot beat natural talent. The addition of both is simply a gift for us spectators.

Liking pop and/or classical music is merely a matter of taste, and either one can be a bridge to the other. It is the same with the sense of nobility that comes from classical: it is gauged differently depending on one's background, and it can swing from one side to the other over time. If I am not mistaken, opera was at first a popular form of art and is now perceived as upper-class.

Snobism is probably a defensive stance to value one's efforts/sacrifices but it does not fool everyone. Why try to be self-justifying when the opportunity to open the mind of those having pop violin as main reference comes up?

December 30, 2018, 11:27 PM · Thomas Boyer , you have a lot to learn about Australian wine.
Edited: December 31, 2018, 12:19 AM · If I had to drink an Australian wine today, it would be a Riesling. On the whole, the tendency is for their red wine to have too much alcohol and too much oak for my taste. But I think I've only drunk one bottle of any wine in the last 10 years (just a generic Pinot Noir), so maybe they've improved their game since then. Otoh, wine is really best from colder climates, and if NZ are wise, they'll stay one step ahead of Oz.

Talking of snobbery, I claim to have been the first person on the planet to start suffering from JCFS. :-)

(that's Jacob Collier Fatigue Syndrome)

December 31, 2018, 12:47 AM · @Andrew Victor - Our paths might have crossed long ago! I also knew Michael Zearott well, 1967-77, in L.A., and was involved in a number of his concerts. He also hired my band, Mariachi Uclatlan, to do a set at the Ojai festival. It raised a few eyebrows, but the mainstream violins and trumpets in the orchestra really liked it. J.Q.-Chico, CA
December 31, 2018, 10:45 AM · Ten years ago, I had a buddy who wanted to show me a video since I played violin, and he showed me a video of Vanessa Mae, who I had never seen before. I think I said something like, "man that was really interesting!" and kept it at that.
December 31, 2018, 11:05 AM · "I do not judge the violinists of different genres by the standards of classical. And the players of those different genres would have legitimate critiques of classical violinists by their standards, too."

I'm glad to hear that. I thought being judgemental was the second nature of every classical musician :)

January 2, 2019, 10:24 PM · I wonder how many venue managers have already seriously asked HH if she will condescend to perform one of her recital encores whilst hula-hooping.

"Doesn't have to be Paganini! Could be, like, Liebesfreud or something."

January 2, 2019, 10:26 PM · Have you seen the video where Hahn is imitating Stirling? It's TwoSet's LingLing Challenge for HH. She can play immaculately still.
January 2, 2019, 10:45 PM · Or rather... LingLingsey Stirling?
Edited: January 3, 2019, 12:32 AM · "I have fought with this question, and quietly bit my lip since childhood. I am an impossible snob when it comes to violin, and music in general"

Yes, you are. And you may think that's cool, but that snobbism it's what empties opera houses.

The right answer to those conversations is "Yes, they are great. And if you like them, you will love enter a virtuoso player and piece here"

January 3, 2019, 3:17 AM · I have a dilemma too.

When I tell people I am a sports person, they immediately bring up some basketball asshole like Mike Jordan or Kobe Bryant...

How can I politely tell them, that they are not sportsmen at all and hold no value for me.

Don't get me wrong, I am all about traditional sports - nordic skiing, greek style of wrestling and alpinism, but this modern overhyped and monetized versions of pushing a bladder through the hoop is not really a sport.

January 3, 2019, 3:19 AM · The problem is, the more "refined" your tastes become (and you can't help that happening with time and increasing experience), the more you'll start to dislike music, players and wine that other people swallow happily. When it comes to music I'm as big a snob as anybody, but I try not to let on. I'm finding it harder and harder to enjoy occasional chamber ensembles that (in my not-so-humble opinion) don't give the attention to balance, blend, phrasing etc that I appreciate in the best permanent groups. But it's not my right to spoil the party so all I have to do stay home and open another bottle of plonk
Edited: January 3, 2019, 3:45 AM · I've seen Stirling prancercising on Youtube, but I've never seen or heard Mae. I don't feel much need, because in the UK we suffered Myleene Klass who pretended to have studied piano since age 4 and gone to the RCM. Clearly not. Now she's a radio presenter (which is ironic, since her main claim to fame was she had a face for telly - but I'm probably unaware of more than half her career at the moment) and her CV has been changed to went to stage school or something. Can't get worked up about nothing. It only surprises me how popular violin is with these wannabees.
January 3, 2019, 2:57 PM · https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78bLjfqaA_w

How about this for a competent violinist playing totally stylistically inappropriate! Never mind the trapeze - I find this much more offensive than any of the others! You can't play Nirvana with an opera singer vibrato! Well, you can do what you like but it sounds ridiculous if you've heard the original music...

Edited: January 3, 2019, 3:47 PM · It's hard not to be a snob sometimes, especially when someone takes a piece that really moves you and turns it into a piece of commercial schlock. Okay, so they might make a bundle doing it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I usually do try to be diplomatic in my put-downs, though.

The other day my wife asked me about an André Rieu poster she saw. "Oh, he's the violin equivalent of the Three Tenors," I explained. 'Nuff said.

Mind you, we both like Rachael Ray's recipes; while cooking, one of us will smirkingly ask the other to pass the EVOO (her term for Extra Virgin Olive Oil).

And I enjoy playing Linus and Lucy on my mandolin.

January 3, 2019, 3:51 PM · Performers have their audiences, if they didn't they would be unemployed. Yeah, some of them can be annoying if you aren't into their music. Some of us roll our eyes at the thought of Andre Reiu without acknowledging that he has a huge following and pays a lot of musicians who might not have steady work otherwise. And what of our fellow string players who are "on the board" to play in pit orchestras across the USA?

"If it sounds good, it is good" as Peter Schickle used to quote. Snobbery may make you feel better but really, in the end music is about enjoyment. I often joke with the members of a local semi-pro orchestra where we have a subscription saying: "You're having too much fun, this is work so you should be miserable." And I've seen video of Pearlman (a big baseball fan) on his Strad belting out "Take me out to the ballgame" with a grin a wide a center field.

I have my own love for Hymnody and Show Tunes and I'm not apologizing.

January 3, 2019, 4:56 PM · I think it's possible to say you don't like something without being labelled a snob. Like a pop music fan is likely to get away with 'I can't stand classical music. I hate it'.
January 3, 2019, 5:43 PM · I think the idea that as a classical musician you get a more and more refined taste is false. The assumption is that you can judge other music by the same criteria you would classical music. If a musician from another tradition did this to classical musicians they would probably say things like, 'there is no groove, square rhythmic articulation, no visceral energy, unexciting performing, no visual effort, too technical', etc. etc... Every music has its value system and it's missing the point to judge one music from the standpoint of another. That's why I raised David Garrett - not wanting to point fingers, but if he is judged by the value system of the genre he is trying to play, then he is failing miserably, despite how technically competent as a violinist he may be.
Edited: January 3, 2019, 7:05 PM · To judge Stirling on classical standards is nearly like judging Madonna on operatic vocal standards, or Luciano Pavarotti under the dance-pop light.

But it's human nature to judge, compare, and discuss between things of different natures and genres, and believe it or not, it's not always a bad thing. It could be a survival skill. People will always judge no matter which side they represent.

One should be careful with words, however, in this era of correctness.

For one, I'd be fine with whatever people like and dislike, only feel the need to correct something apparently wrong. So I'd be silent (though maybe disagree) if someone arbitrarily says, 'Lindsey Stirling is one of the greatest living violinists', but I'm ready to be honest should they think she has the best violin technique.

Edited: January 3, 2019, 9:16 PM · Somebody sent me a link of a violinist busker who was looping and they were very excited to share it with me, asking what I thought! Put it this way, I would not have bought the guy's music! But, it's a put down to the person if you say 'this guy is pretty average'. Instead, I said 'good energy', which was true enough without putting the guy down because he wasn't the best violinist in the world...
January 4, 2019, 5:54 PM · Another analogy here could be a wine drinker who has tried beer & doesn't like it. They have a choice between talking condescendingly about beer, or just accepting that it's a matter of taste and preference.
Edited: January 4, 2019, 7:09 PM · The OP came to the forum asking about 'some polite discourse' he can use to express his dislike. He doesn't intend to talk condescendingly to anyone (yet) from what I read.

He did jokingly admit feeling like a snob for disliking pop violinists. But it's shared to a group of presumably like-minded people, which to me more like sharing your feeling, rather than having a provocative assertion. Had the OP shared this to a group of Lindsey Stirling's fan, then he would be condescending.

In addition to lecturing what someone should or shouldn't like, I think we should also concentrate on what was directly asked for help: how to politely express your dislike of pop violinists, without giving an air of snobbism, when colleagues or friends ask you non-stop about them.

I think it's a valid question and personally I'm interested to know what insights or solutions we can give. We all have dislikes too!

January 8, 2019, 5:56 PM · 15 nOtEs A sEcOnD?
Have you watched TwoSet?
Edited: January 22, 2019, 1:03 PM · Xavier Seynave - Great post and great analogies. However, I can confirm talent is pretty much nonexistent. Talent is made through time and honing of skill. People like Mozart didn't have talent - they just had the means and the environment needed for them to become geniuses. And here's a video from a professional violinist (he also co-runs a comedic YT channel called TwoSetViolin) by the name of Eddy Chen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbtnCUTiDYo
January 9, 2019, 12:49 AM · I really don't like a beer, I am a vegetarian and dislike pop, hip hop and some electronic and strange things I cannot name. I love classical music and jazz, blues rock was my way in life too. I am a strange person for most of the people around. But (I hope) these differences and tries to share something like this stuff with me ended in friendly talk and explanations of points of view.

I am glad that I showed much more music to a few people, they began to listen to more genres and variability, instead of bizarre electro sounds mixed together:)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Warchal Metronome

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop