Should you be using arm vibrato on repertoire while learning wrist vibrato?

December 27, 2018, 12:57 AM · Should I be using vibrato as normal while I'm training wrist vibrato or should I stop it all? I don't know if using arm while learning wrist will be counterproductive or not.

Replies (3)

Edited: December 27, 2018, 7:06 AM · If your present vibrato is not faulty - stiff, with a gripping left hand, (or gripping chin) - it shouldn't interfere with the new motions practiced separately.

Most good vibratos seem to be a blend of arm and hand motions. Your hand vibrato should eventually integrate with the arm vibrato.

December 27, 2018, 10:57 AM · Probably not. Ask your teacher. He/she likely wants you to learn one motion at a time.
Edited: December 28, 2018, 11:14 AM · I learned wrist vibrato first, but eventually needed to add an arm vibrato for certain situations. (Double-stops, wide 1st finger vibrato on lower strings, etc.) After being stuck for a while, my teacher recommended a "vibrato cleanse" where I used no vibrato at all for two or three days (including no arm vibrato training), then no wrist vibrato for two weeks. That was what I needed to learn the arm motion. After that two-week "cleanse" I was able to work on my arm vibrato separately while resuming wrist vibrato in normal practice.

It was only after I had a completely secure arm vibrato that I started experimenting with a blended arm/wrist vibrato; the blended motion came within only a week or two at that point. I still use a pure wrist vibrato at least 80% of the time, but now have both the blended and pure arm options to use when appropriate.

YMMV, but that's my experience adding one type of vibrato motion to another.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic