Free Violin Concerto Editions

December 21, 2018, 4:33 PM · A few years ago I made free editions of four standard violin concertos by me available on my Baylor University website. The url has changed recently to an updated version which is: https://www.baylor.edu/music/index.php?id=952983

The concertos are Mendelssohn, Bruch #1, Lalo Symphonie Espagnol, and Saint Saens #3.

Each has an edited version, an urtext version, and a piano reduction all notated on Finale.

The bowings and fingerings are based upon my studies with Ivan Galamian, Josef Gingold, and Dorothy Delay.

I was assisted by the input of current violin teachers in this process. These include Kenneth Goldsmith (Rice U.), Andrew Jennings (Umich), Joseph Gatwood (Catholic U.), Gerald Fischbach (U. of Maryland).

I am certain that these editions supersede any others currently commercially available and have a great price of free.

Replies (12)

December 21, 2018, 7:24 PM · Nice! That's really helpful!
December 21, 2018, 11:08 PM · I've used your Bruch and Lalo editions for a number of students now, they are wonderful! Thank you so much.
December 22, 2018, 7:35 AM · Amazing! Thank you.
December 22, 2018, 8:06 AM · What a great resource! Thanks.
December 22, 2018, 11:23 AM · Bruce, indeed, I think your editions are already more famous than you may think and it is great they will remain available online.

In the Bruch, finale, measure 280, something went wrong with the typesetting. Any chance this may still be corrected in the near future?

December 22, 2018, 11:59 AM · I used your Bruch edition when my daughter did Bruch. Good fingerings.
December 22, 2018, 12:45 PM · Wonderful, thank you!
December 22, 2018, 1:20 PM · By the way, the scale duos also on this page are fashioned after the one in G in Spohr's Violin School. I transposed it into A and Aflat keys. Also I altered it so in the accompaniment holds notes longer so as to act as a drone tone. I figured these scales would make them more fun to work on since the teacher plays along. Bruce
January 20, 2019, 10:26 AM · Thank you so much!

I too have transcribed some of Spohr's very musical studies from his "School (into Sibelius..).
The C major ones I often transpose to D major to concentrate on bowing rather than finger twisting!
I do viola versions too.

January 20, 2019, 11:47 AM · Dear Dr. Berg: Thank you so much for doing this and making them so available. How I wish I had had them 70 years ago when I was "messing around" with the "great" concertos. Now I find my limbs and their extensions can't seem to do what I could back then - but I won't give up.

Will you be adding others?

January 20, 2019, 2:04 PM · Are you ever going to make editions of other concerti - maybe Tchaikovsky or Sibelius?
No pressure, though.
January 21, 2019, 2:49 PM · I used your edition of Mendelssohn when I learned and performed it two years ago. I am now learning your edition of Bruch for an upcoming performance in March. They are great!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases