Musical Opportunities

December 21, 2018, 7:55 AM · I am very interested in expanding my musical horizons, so to speak. I plan to join my local youth orchestra and I was interested in perhaps doing a summer program (suggestions?). I’m around intermediate level (viola). I joined AVS which has great resources. However, I still wish there was more I could do now (youth orchestra starts mid-next year) to increase my performance opportunities.

Replies (10)

December 21, 2018, 8:39 AM · How old are you. Where do you live. What is your playing level.
December 21, 2018, 9:56 AM · I’m 14, almost 15. I live in South Georgia. I’m around intermediate level (around the same as Suzuki 6/7). I’m working on Barber’s Solos.
December 21, 2018, 10:13 AM · Is there a way to connect with others at your level for chamber music? A weekly reading session will do wonders for your ensemble playing, confidence, and sight reading. Plus, you'll make friends!
Edited: December 21, 2018, 10:20 AM · I'd be looking for a summer camp. They aren't always listed by SAA, so you have to look around. One way is to ask on here, "Hey, anyone know any summer suzuki camps in the general area of southern Georgia, say, within 300 miles of Valdosta?" Or you could search it yourself, and you'll find stuff in Atlanta, Roswell, maybe Talahassee, Orlando, etc.
December 21, 2018, 10:22 AM · Hi Karl,

Do you mean like forming a quartet?

December 21, 2018, 10:24 AM · Thanks for the advice Paul.
December 21, 2018, 10:50 AM · There just one thing about being the quartet organizer -- you will inevitably bear a higher burden than the others for buying music. But, once you buy it, it's yours forever. It's a great thing to have a library of relatively easy quartet arrangements of pop tunes, etc., that you can eventually play at weddings once you have the chops. Yes there is a ton of stuff on IMSLP but often not the arrangements -- just classical standards (Haydn, Mozart, etc.) and those things get difficult really quickly. Another good place to look for quartet arrangements is on SheetMusicPlus (you pay, but not a fortune) and Musescore (free).
December 21, 2018, 12:18 PM · Ida, yes - a quartet is probably the best place to start due to the huge amount of available literature and the wide range of difficulties, starting from "sight readable".
December 21, 2018, 6:57 PM · Look into the Sewanee Summer Music Festival in TN. I went there as a student a long time ago and have attended performances the last few summers. The quality was high 40 years ago, but it's even higher now. Have been very impressed with how well the orchestras play!

Unlike a place like Meadowmount, where it's all about practicing solos and lessons, there is that at SSMF, but also orchestra and chamber music as well. There are different conductors each week. It's a great place to get a ton of experience in a short period. And it's in a beautiful small college town in the mountains, too! :-)

http://ssmf.sewanee.edu

December 22, 2018, 2:09 PM · There is a pretty comprehensive list of music camps listed by state here: https://www.johnsonstring.com/resources/summer-music-camps/

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases