weird resonance or something else?

December 20, 2018, 3:10 PM · This past summer I purchased a German factory violin (Schweitzer copy 1813, probably 1870's or so). I had a new sound post, bridge, and tailpiece installed. Likewise I had a few open seams and a bass side f-hole crack repaired. Whereas this a lovely instrument, I noticed an interesting phenomenon that I've not experienced before. The B (third line treble clef) is exceptionally louder than the other notes around it, even in different positions. Similarly, the G# (top of the staff) has the same tendency. The "resonance" disappears in different octaves. Is just something weird?

The instrument was not playable before purchase and the previous owner bought because of the bow that accompanied it. He just did not want to invest money in fixing to be playable due to numerous other instruments to has.

Replies (5)

December 20, 2018, 3:30 PM · Do you get strange sounding vibrations if you tap on the violin's belly?
Do you get the same response if you play these same notes on other strings?
Do you get strange responses if you play the lowest B and the lower G#s?

December 20, 2018, 7:26 PM · I haven't tried the tapping, will do it tomorrow. Yes, I do get the same response on other strings. Lower B is fractionally louder, though I think it is just my perception because it makes sense to my mind. Low G#'s are normal.
December 20, 2018, 7:53 PM · It's very difficult to change the resonances of the body by changing the setup, or so I hear. It's probably the construction of the instrument.

Maybe you could fit a new bass bar? I dunno.

December 20, 2018, 8:02 PM · gremlins?
December 21, 2018, 4:17 PM · You can get an Iphone or Android audio spectrometer apps. This will display an audio spectrum of notes as you play them. So you could play various notes including B and G# and and look at the fundamental and overtone spectra - perhaps the peaks for these notes will be much higher than for other notes.

Don't vibrato when you do this unless you want to look at the confusion that causes.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Warchal Metronome

Bay Fine Strings Violin Shop