Larsen Il Canone Strings

Edited: December 18, 2018, 10:26 PM · Hi everyone,

I'm currently on the quest of finding strings that suit my violin best, and I'm thinking of purchasing a set of Il Canone strings. Not much has been said about them yet as they are new to the market, so I'm just wondering how do you all find these strings? Are they worth trying? If so, should I get the Medium or Soloist version? Thanks in advance!

P.S. does anybody find the sound similar to Evah Pirazzis (which I currently have on my violin)? They seem to be one o those high tension,brilliant and powerful synthetic core strings

Replies (3)

December 19, 2018, 12:19 AM · They are actually not very high-tension -- Larsen tends to make lower-tension strings.

They weren't good on my violin, but they're kind of EP Gold-like on other people's violins, so there are clearly people for whom these strings work well.

Regular Larsens, Tzigane, and Virtuoso all work decently but not fantastically on my violin. But these were sufficiently not good that I took them off the violin as soon as they'd broken in enough to assure me that they weren't going to get better.

December 20, 2018, 7:22 AM · Thanks for your answer Lydia! Do you know if they're durable and long-lasting though? The thing about Evah Pirazzis is that they seem to diminish after a month or so
December 20, 2018, 7:45 AM · I have never found any Larsen string to have a lot of longevity, unfortunately.

Realistically, most modern strings have a optimal playing life of 100 to 150 hours. If you play a lot, you will be changing strings frequently.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases