Audition repertoire choices

December 18, 2018, 7:21 PM · So I've decided im going to do an audition for an orchestral camp (VFJO) due in the next month as something to aim for on my current summer break. I currently don't have access to a teacher for reasons irrelevant to the substance of the post. It asks for 2 contrasting pieces/excerpts of pieces, 3 minutes each and here are my current options. Which of the below combinations is the best?
1. Mozart G Major k.216 (1st mvt) and Beethoven F major romance
2. Mozart G major k.216 (1st mvt) and Mendelssohn first mvt
3. Mozart G major (1st mvt) and Mendelssohn 2nd mvt
4. Beethoven F romance and Mendelssohn 1st mvt
4.5 Bruch G minor instead of the Mendelssohn in the options above.
5- any other combination? have some other pieces like the Prokofiev Sonata in D, and all movements of Bach G Minor except the fugue. Does it need to be particularly showy or just sound well-played? Are there particular sections should I do? Thank you in advance!

Replies (5)

December 18, 2018, 7:59 PM · Do that which you are both best at and can play the most musically. As for all auditions, its more important to play cleanly and with expression than to play something difficult. Make sure you stay precisely on time and respect dynamic markings - these are more important to an orchestra than even intonation ;)
December 18, 2018, 8:25 PM · Why not Mendelssohn 1st and 2nd movements?
Edited: December 18, 2018, 9:06 PM · THREE MINUTES??? You better look on YouTube and see which of your pieces can be played in three minutes. Answer: None of them.

Three minutes each means two movement of solo bach, such as the Gigue and Sarabande of the D Minor Partita. With no repeats.

Oh. Excerpts. Okay then. The excerpt of Mozart 3 that you would play would be the return of the main theme at the end and the Franko cadenza. First two pages of Bruch G Minor maybe. Last bit of Beethoven Op. 50, perhaps starting at the C major arpeggio section. You might be able to play the first page of the Op. 40 (G Major) Beethoven Romance in 3 minutes. That is a pretty piece and it will show your skill in very exposed double stops. Lydia's idea of playing the first two movements of the same concerto is interesting but I would say the same idea could be applied to Mozart 3 as well. But again you have to pick excerpts because the second movement of the Mozart is very long.

December 19, 2018, 12:21 AM · Mendelssohn is so significantly more difficult than Mozart 3 (and the Beethoven) that it should definitely be chosen if it can be played well.
December 19, 2018, 7:48 AM · I'm not familiar with this program, but I know for the really good pre-college summer programs in the US you need to be at least Mendelssohn level. So I would play the Mendelssohn (at least first two pages...getting to the third would be good if possible). Here it is pretty standard to include 1 or 2 movements of Bach for an audition like this, so that would be my pick. Otherwise I would do both movements of Mendelssohn. The Mozart and Beethoven are really too low level-wise unless your ability to interpret Mozart is international competition level (ie it is easy to play Mozart decently; it is incredibly hard to play Mozart exceptionally).

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic