Can I use bass rosin on my violin bow?

December 18, 2018, 10:22 AM · I have watched a youtube violin teacher that recommends bass rosin on the violin for more grip.

I live in a very humid country but when I go to a cold,low humidity air conditioned place i noticed that my dark rosin just doesn't grip the strings enough and it doesn't produce a big sound.

So I was wondering can or should i use bass rosin on my violin bow or should I stay away from it? Thank you for your answers.

Replies (9)

Edited: December 18, 2018, 10:29 AM · Try cello rosin first.

Best to borrow a few swipes from a cellist and bassist to see how it works for you - and play with it for a while because these softer rosins tend to gum up over time (not a lot of time either) if they are going to.

One fairly new rosin that seems to grip really nicely is the Thomastik Peter Infeld violin rosin.

December 18, 2018, 11:01 AM · I use bass rosin pretty much exclusively, but that's on plain guts.
December 18, 2018, 1:08 PM · Check to make sure you don't need a rehair. Good quality hair, good quality rosin, and good quality strings go a long way. I wrote an article not too long ago about rosin here: https://adbowsllc.com/2018/09/25/all-things-rosin/

Sure you could use bass rosin but for a violin with a modern setup, it's not recommended, there is a reason the rosin is specific for bass.

Edited: December 18, 2018, 1:22 PM · Before rehairing look up on youtube how to .clean. your how hair with alcohol.
December 18, 2018, 7:46 PM · Thank you all a lot! I think I am gonna clean my bow hair and use Peter Infield Rosin first and if that does not do the trick, I will have my bow rehaired.
December 19, 2018, 4:16 AM · I had an issue with my bow for a few weeks and I know that it needs rehair desperately. But my luthier has tons of work at the end of the year. So I decided to wait a few weeks. But the bow hair went wrong, I was upset. So I tried to clean my bow hair. I know there are lovers of cleaning bow hair, I have a feeling I don't want to do that regularly but in that situation, holidays, bad hair, there will be a hair replacement. So I gave it a try.

And I must say honestly, it helped a lot. The sound is better than before when I thought the bow is working properly. But I am still taking it like the aid like when my strings are fading out I prolong their life for two weeks by cleaning with alcohol. This bow was not rehaired for 3 years and I play with him regularly on daily basis.

I am happy with the result. But I am going to replace this hair very soon.

December 19, 2018, 4:22 AM · I think that cleaning can help a lot, but how it can return the springiness and stretchability of the hair lost during period of stretching and forcing powers. My luthier rehaired my wife's bow a few weeks ago. She had the hair for almost 10 years. But it was not played too much, just a little. But rehair, wow, it gave the bow such a nice sound, absolutely different reaction with string and it is super cool. It sounds so good with new hair, I think that cleaning cannot give something like this.

This is just my opinion, for everybody else can be different way and it is working.

December 19, 2018, 7:27 AM · If it’s the same YouTube instructor I’m thinking of, you can pass on most of her advice. Some of the things she says are incorrect.
December 19, 2018, 10:40 AM · Dimitri you're probably right. I also find some of her advice and tips are quite strange that i have never seen or heard before.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic