Selling my violin and questions about the price range

December 14, 2018, 10:37 PM · I'm planning on selling my Italian violin since I'm looking forward to a new change in terms of sound quality and also trying to buy another violin that is a bit louder and has more tone varieties. The current violin I have is made in 2016 and cost about 11,340 when I bought it. If I had already been playing it for 2 years and if I actually happen to be able to sell it, what would the appropriate price range be?

Replies (13)

December 14, 2018, 10:47 PM · In that time there would be effectively no price change unless the maker either died or suddenly won a VSA tone award or something like that. And even then it might still be essentially neutral. So you'd probably consign it for $11k and you might need to negotiate some, so you'd get less than your asking price. And then the shop will probably take a consignment fee of 20%. So cash to you is probably $8k post-transaction. Expect it to take a year to sell.
December 14, 2018, 11:43 PM · Lydia is correct. Any possibility you could trade your current violin in when buying your next one?
December 15, 2018, 6:08 PM · Partly depends on the maker. If the maker is relatively sought after and has a waiting list, then you might get what you paid for in a direct transaction, otherwise pretty much what Lydia said. Who is the maker?
Edited: December 16, 2018, 7:40 AM · If the maker is still alive and you have a good relationship, he / she might be willing to help you sell it, especially if the instruments are in high demand and the waiting list is long. I hope that you know what you are doing and what you are looking for. "a violin that is a bit louder and has more tone varieties" may cost you 10k or 100k more. If you are not terribly unhappy with the instrument, invest in a better bow and stay put. Save your money and keep looking. Time is on your side.
December 18, 2018, 6:38 AM · Trade my current violin as in like, trading it with the one that I want to buy? I've actually never heard of this kind of selling method :O Does most luthier shop do this or does it depends?
December 18, 2018, 6:40 AM · The maker is actually Diego Alberto Serrano, who was born in 1955 and lives in Cremona.
Edited: December 18, 2018, 7:24 AM · Many of the larger shops have a "trade-up" policy - Potter, Shar, etc. The down side is that you have to shop there for the rest of your life until you have the resources to break free from the shackles of trade-up -- shackles that grow thicker and tighter every time, like the constrictor waiting for you to exhale.

You always pay twice as much for a violin if it's Italian. Therefore if you buy another $11,000 violin that's not Italian, you can expect it to be significantly better already.

December 19, 2018, 9:39 AM · I see. Is it actually true that Italian violins cost twice as much compared violins from other countries? Sometimes I've heard that some Italians are overrated but I've never heard that it costs this much compared to others. Anyways, I'll make sure to keep that in mind when buying my next one.
December 19, 2018, 10:02 AM · Paul is being facetious.
December 19, 2018, 10:43 AM · Actually similar quality Italian violins are about three times the cost of a good German violin IMHO
December 19, 2018, 11:09 AM · Perfectly my opinion, Lyndon - at least as long as it is about "antique" (covering really antique until modern but retired/deceased makers). With contemporary makers, the limit seems to be somewhere in the mid €20+k region, isn't it? No matter if Italian, German, French or American.
December 19, 2018, 11:17 AM · "good German violin"

Isn't that a contradiction in terms? Like a "good 1975 Chevy" or "compassionate conservative"?
(Sorry, couldn't resist that last one...).

December 19, 2018, 11:42 AM · If you haven't played a good German violin, you just haven't been around much, have you??

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic