How to smell your own breath, for violinists?

December 8, 2018, 9:16 AM · I want to hear what my violin sounds like from afar so I can improve the setup further, but nobody else in my immediate family has any ear for music and my only microphone is in my phone. Anyone know any tricks (not just holding it at the waist)?

Replies (5)

December 8, 2018, 11:10 AM · Smelling your own breath.... isn't that's what's known as a smellfie?
December 8, 2018, 11:32 AM · Blow into one f hole, with your nostrils positioned over the other f hole?
December 8, 2018, 11:41 AM · Interesting idea, but I'll need some tubing to accomplish that.
December 8, 2018, 11:48 AM · Just out of curiosity, what is your current string setup with gauges?
December 8, 2018, 12:46 PM · Right now I'm running some old strings out until they die. Heavy Tricolore G, D and A with a Lisa E. I've got my afterlength set a bit longer and the soundpost just a tiny bit close.
I plan to switch to a .90mm wound G, 1.20 Pistoy D and a 0.86 plain A, but I'm saving those strings for an important performance in a few months.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay