-----Original String Quartet---would love some feedback

December 6, 2018, 4:05 PM · https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlarRvohpI0

Replies (5)

December 6, 2018, 5:56 PM · I thought that was quite good. The themes and rhythmic devices are interesting. I didn't really "get" the overall structure -- the reflective parts, for example, were indistinguishable from the coda, so it was not possible to anticipate the ending. If that's intentional, then cool. I think you could do more with the ending, just my two cents' worth. Is this the whole work, or is it a movement of something larger?
December 6, 2018, 6:25 PM · Thanks so much for listening! This is a one movement work but I agree that the ending is the weakest part. Glad you liked it though :)
December 6, 2018, 7:24 PM · It doesn't really speak to me. As fun as the rhythyms are, it all sounds a bit hazy... After listening to it, I don't remember any clear melodies or powerful harmonic movement. When I listen to a classic Beeethoven quartet, for example, there's that strong sense of tension and release, and melodies that develop over the entire piece, and small little motifs you hear over and over. When things repeat like that, they really stick, and it's incredibly powerful when you bring them back at the end of a big first movement. Here, my ear can't always pick out the phrase.

That's my opinion. I encourage you to keep working on it, though.

Edited: December 6, 2018, 8:04 PM · I know what Cotton means but I thought the themes were clear enough. And if you wanted to write a movement in classical Sonata-Allegro form, you would have. Your composition is just different, certainly more modern. I get that, but at the same time, listeners will expect some kind of overarching development or unifying structure. I suspect a lot of the "hazy" sense comes from the electronic rendering. For example you probably want a raspier, crispier staccato than you're getting from your computer.
Edited: December 6, 2018, 9:10 PM · I liked it! But...
It is sometimes way too random, without any clear path or shape, it sounds just as if different passages were copied and pasted "unintentionally". The very beginning is way too repetitive, I don't get why one violin has to reply to the other with the exact same melody. Twice. Plus the viola. Right after that, I felt a little lost, you suddenly change the beginning atmosphere, which was alright, tense, but had just started, to another one. It feels as if you accidentally pushed "next track" button in your music player. Also, the beginning sound more like a 2nd or 3rd movement, something you add in the middle or at the end, definitely not something you start with. I think you need to develop a lot more the beginning, stay in that atmosphere more time, let us know how it feels. You need to develop as well the ending. The piece should be at least 10 minutes. But hey, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, it has potential to become really good. May be I'm not that well of a judge because you really have to be impossibly bad at composition in order for me to not like a quartet composition. I mean... 2 violins, a cello and a viola... there's absolutely nothing that can go wrong.
:-)

I don't think that a good piece necessarily has to repeat in a baroque-classical-romantic manner "the" melody, the one passage you whistle taking a bath. I think you can totally break altogether with that notion that there must be a motive that repeats during all the piece with some variations.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay