Strictly Strings - Who uses it to teach, why, and what are your results?

Edited: December 4, 2018, 8:52 PM · My newest teacher is putting me through this book. I find learning to read without being able to hear the music a stultifying experience, fraught with recurring heavy sighs (on my part, maybe on my teacher's part), and yet I'm learning to read. Just don't have as much motivation to open the book as I did with Suzuki.

I do fiddling, and it would be highly unusual to have sheet music on stage. And I've spent 20 years learning by ear. To widely varying degrees of success.

What does this avenue provide that Suzuki does not?
What are the outcomes?
What students does it work best for (I'm an older adult)?
Is heavy sighing good for my lungs? My intonation?

Replies (3)

December 4, 2018, 9:11 PM · I have the first book from ages ago. My teacher from then only used the first book, as a basic introduction to technique.
I don't like it.
Edited: December 4, 2018, 9:26 PM · I've also had two teachers want to train me in the ergonomic techniques of Kato Havas. At some point I felt like I was an overweight pigeon trying to take off, but failing, what with all the arm flapping and stuff. 4-5 weeks of this and nary a note played. First teacher got annoyed with me because I wasn't remembering ever (I was there to learn and remember music, duh), and I only went to the next teacher once because she started trying to get me to take off like an overweight pigeon again, and it brought back bad memories.
December 10, 2018, 2:37 AM · I’m an older adult beginner and my teacher used the first book, then he moved me onto student concertos. But I can already read music, so we skipped a lot of the boring stuff at the beginning, I still refer to it occasionally between lessons if I’m unsure on technique. It’s the only book of its kind I’ve used so can’t compare - written more for children ( there’s an idea for someone - write a primer to engage adult students)
If you’re already fiddling, I take that to mean you can already play the violin and just need to learn to read music? Which is the opposite and less usual situation. I would think there would be other ways for an adult to learn to read music without wading through all of that.
What is the point of the pigeon excercises?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay