String tubes

December 4, 2018, 5:14 AM · My violin outfit didn't come with a string tube, in spite of the product's photo showing one, so I bought some perspex tubing and made my own.
Here's a photo in which people might overlook a detail.
Is that string tube as stupid as I think it is, or am I missing a point?
https://d2ram95tajq20c.cloudfront.net/images/14121/littleton_int.jpg

Replies (11)

December 4, 2018, 6:25 AM · I just keep my strings in their packaging until I use them. I think uncoiling them and holding them straight in a tube is pointless except maybe for certain types of gut strings.
December 4, 2018, 7:06 AM · It looks like the tube in your photo was intended to be a case humidifier (with the internal packing missing), rather than a string tube.
December 4, 2018, 12:35 PM · Yes Humidifier Tube without the sponge element inside. How are you able to fit a full length string tube in the same spot with the cushion in the way? I hope you are not bending or kinking the strings to get them to fit in the tube.
December 4, 2018, 5:10 PM · You might inquire whether the chinrest hold-down pad is removable to be able to replace the humidifier tube with a full-length string tube.

Gut-core and all-gut strings I have purchased from afar have arrived in thin plastic tubes that are circled to about 8-inch diameter. I "store" them in the string tubes of my cases against the day I might once again try to use them.

December 4, 2018, 6:02 PM · I have never bothered with a string tube; just leave the strings in the packaging until I'm ready to use them.
Edited: December 5, 2018, 6:55 AM · I was wondering what that pad was - I didn't think of the chinrest! I should have. But that would dictate that you have an even bigger pad on the other side - not possible with the bow holders there. Maybe the whole design has many flaws and I should compare it carefully with others.
December 5, 2018, 7:40 AM · With synthetic strings, I wouldn't bother with string tubes either. A lot of the paper envelopes have coatings now that protect the strings from tarnishing prematurely.
Edited: December 5, 2018, 8:37 AM · I see it now - initially all I could see was what I thought were loop ends on strings.

Then I saw the holes on the underside of the tube. Then finally I could see that those were holes, not loop ends (their regular positioning was always suspicious, but I didn't twig), so it was a humidifier all along.

I shall follow the advice of the people who say keep the strings in the packets until you need them. I must say, though, that local conditions here mean that a humidifier is as unnecessary as a string tube.

December 5, 2018, 8:50 AM · What's all the fuss about string tubes? I don't even keep plain guts in the tube; by the time Canada Post ships them over from Minnesota, they're well and coiled...
Winter!

Should I be asking Mr. Larson to send them in tubes?

December 5, 2018, 9:43 AM · Why keep new strings in your case at all? Perhaps the last set you removed could be kept in the case as backups for possible broken strings. You wouldn't want to use a new string as an emergency replacement because the initial stretching would be untenable. But take your new sets out of the case and your storage options become pretty much unlimited.
December 5, 2018, 2:57 PM · My current strings are sold straight in a cardboard tube, so I keep them in my string tube.

Sometimes, poorly-stored string packages get crushed, damaging the strings.

Plenty of new string types can be used as emergency replacements because they stretch very quickly, and combined with playing-in strategies (fortissimo at the bridge for a few minutes) are very stable after only 5-10 minutes. I would be totally comfortable swapping in a new Thomastik Rondo string if one of my existing ones broke for any reason.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay