White out on fingerboard - how to remove???

December 2, 2018, 2:39 PM · Hi,

I've dug out my violin which my son also learnt on many moons ago. His teacher has used either Twink or White out on the fingerboard. I need to remove this safely. How do I go about it please?

Many thanks.

Replies (10)

December 2, 2018, 2:53 PM · Plenty of ways. Can sand with fine paper, use steel wool, or scrape gently with an edge. Then you burnish, polish however you feel (wax, oil, whatever) and you're done.
If you don't have all this stuff lying around, you can try to remove it with mineral spirits and a cloth. Just don't get any solvent on the violin itself.
Edited: December 2, 2018, 4:05 PM · Cotton Mather: Thank you so much! What type of oil would be best?
Edited: December 2, 2018, 4:22 PM · I use tippex on my guitar, and a fingernail is enough to scrape it off.
December 2, 2018, 4:47 PM · Andrew Fryer: Thank you! Unfortunately my fingernails are too soft to do the job. The stuff seems to be set like concrete, but I have found a decent 'instrument' with which to remove it gently. It does seem to have impaired the surface though, or perhaps it's kind of residue. I may have to complete the job with isopropyl on a cotton bud then carefully wipe the fingerboard with oil.
Edited: December 2, 2018, 4:55 PM · Petz Rosin remover?
December 2, 2018, 6:34 PM · What do you have around your house? Try rubbing alchohol. Do you have any acetone or paint thinner out in the garage? Try that. Experiment until something works. Don't let anything spill on the varnish.
December 2, 2018, 10:39 PM · Dried white out will be best removed mechanically as cotton suggests. Not chemically.
December 3, 2018, 7:52 PM · Sharpie pen?
Edited: December 4, 2018, 7:58 AM · These things have different chemistries - the old "tippex" I loved was water-soluble. I assume it was basically acrylic paint. It is the type I put on my guitar until I ran out of it a couple of years back.
Newer tippexes are truly horrible petro-chemical affairs that go hard in the bottle before the bottle is half empty and they have industrial thinners. And they have little wedge-shaped sponges instead of brushes, that break off even before the stuff goes hard in the bottle.
I have bought a tube of opaque white acrylic paint and am experimenting with that and brushes.
Maybe I should make fewer spelling mistakes. Or maybe I should learn to annotate in pencil, lol!
Edited: December 4, 2018, 11:54 AM · About the first thing you learn when you join an orchestra is that you never use anything other than pencil (and that preferably soft rather than hard) to annotate the music part handed to you (bowings, fingerings, conductor's instructions etc).

The second thing you learn is if the parts are hired then all annotations must be erased before the parts are returned to the librarian at the end of the performance. This is often a specific requirement by the hire organisation.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay