Steel string question

December 2, 2018, 1:18 AM · Hi,
I had an older violin (1800s -1900s),that had steel strings on it.I had it in storage for a while,and when I went to play
it again,the neck had loosened.
Im just wondering is it best to not put steel strings on older violins,due to the extra tension,because they were made for gut strings?

Thanks

Replies (6)

December 2, 2018, 6:47 AM · If everything is as it should be, any normal violin string is not going to hurt a violin.
December 2, 2018, 10:46 AM · In short, no, if it's not about to fall apart anyways. But why WOULD you put steel strings on it? Respect your elders; such an old instrument deserves better.
December 2, 2018, 10:50 PM · The only steel string I would ever consider putting on an instrument would be the Russian A from Warchal. It's so warm and rich!
Edited: December 3, 2018, 3:07 AM · you must play viola!! e strings are almost always steel!!
Edited: December 3, 2018, 8:56 AM · I wonder if the conditions under which that violin was stored for a period of time had something to do with the neck loosening, which probably would have had little to do with the type of string - a violin of that age should be able to comfortably withstand the tension of a set of steel strings without structural problems. The other real possibility of course is a lack of adequate luthier care and maintenance over the violin's long life.

Cellos generally play quite well with steel strings, and that choice is a darn sight cheaper in the long run (says this former cellist).

December 3, 2018, 10:05 AM · I have found the Pirastro Flexocor/Permanent violin strings to be very good steel strings. They are priced like all top-of-the-line strings.

There are also separate Pirastro Flexocor AND Permanent viola and cello string brands (rather than the single "combined" brand for violin). I have used both brands on cello; depending on which cello. One brand is better on one cello and the other on two of them.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay