Deal too good to be true?

November 29, 2018, 8:06 PM · Need new strings in advance for an upcoming exam, so I was over at the Gamut website...
I found probably the best deal for a violin A ever. Technically, it's a guitar B string, but it's the same type of gut and comes in the same gauges (.82, .84, and exactly what I was looking for---.86). Not only is it double length, it's 11 dollars, which is an absolute steal. There's also another 20% off for Thanksgiving.
Sometimes you can find a really great deal by looking in overstock or strings for other instruments.
And if your gut As go quicker than the other three like mine do, this is an opportune way to buy a bunch.

Replies (2)

November 30, 2018, 1:32 PM · Why not try?

When I started lessons in the early 60s my teacher had rolls of gut string for each string. He would just cut off the required length and put it on. I remember when he first started using steel E strings. Mostly because the gut E would break so often.

Edited: November 30, 2018, 2:41 PM · Cotton, I haven't tried that, but there may significant differences between guitar strings and violin strings. At least there are from manufactures like D'Addario, which makes huge quantities of both.

One of these might be torsional resistance. A guitar string doesn't need much or any of this. On a violin string, where the bow force is applied off-center, that force can roll the string, causing it not to speak until it winds up far enough to stop, and let the bow bite.

On one set of prototype violin strings I tried, it would take nearly a second for the string to start sounding again, after reversing bow direction, with that time going into twisting the string in the other direction.

Let us know how it turns out.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay