Taking Gift Guide suggestions!

November 27, 2018, 12:56 PM · Greetings everyone! I'm writing the Holiday Gift Guide for this year, and I'm asking for your suggestions and ideas! I'm looking for this year's top stuff for violinists, and this can be recordings, books, gear, accessories, etc.

Here is last years, guide, to give you an idea: The 2017 Violinist.com Holiday Gift Guide

Thanks in advance!

Replies (12)

November 28, 2018, 1:11 AM · I have received a brand new beautiful music stand and light from my wife for Hannukah :-) It is great and I am still excited from it, on daily usage, it is so comfortable than the old one was.
November 28, 2018, 9:26 AM · What kind is it, Martin?
November 28, 2018, 11:44 AM · Is there ever a "year-in-review" or "best of 2018..." from the "For the Record" listings? There were a number of recordings that stood out. A few highlights off the top of my head include both Hillary Hahn's and Giuliano Carmignola's recordings of Bach's Sonatas & Partitas, the Debussy "The Late Works: Three Sonatas" including Isabelle Faust (as well as Faust's recordings of Bach's Violin Sonatas) and Lisa Batiashvili's "Visions of Prokofiev" with Yannick Nézet-Séguin and the Chamber Orchestra of Europe. I haven't yet heard the new Borodin Quartet recordings of the Shostakovich String Quartets. And there are certainly more to add...
Edited: November 28, 2018, 4:05 PM · Musician's ear plugs. I use D'Addario "Pacato" plugs, and they've become indispensable to me. I can insert the them to a greater or lesser degree to vary the effectiveness. I know that there are many other good brands too.

And Anne Akiko Meyers was on last years list. She has a new cd this year called "Mirror in Mirror" that I would highly recommend.

November 28, 2018, 5:52 PM · A Kréddle, the be-all end-all chinrest.
November 28, 2018, 10:38 PM · I really love Evan Johnson's book "Music and Relationships". I met Evan this summer at a chamber music workshop comprised of people who'd been playing together for decades. The book reflects the unusual camaraderie and singleness of purpose that I encountered there and is especially significant for that reason. More generally is a well-designed manual for chamber musicians of all levels.

https://www.musicandrelationships.com/

November 28, 2018, 11:33 PM · Laurie Niles@

This one

https://www.thomann.de/cz/thomann_orchesterpult_deluxe.htm
and the light I can't find right now, I will try at home. I love stability and massiveness, because my 2yo daughter is still hitting it with everything :) and I was catching before fall the old one

November 29, 2018, 9:02 PM · Hi Laurie - I would like to suggest my books for unaccompanied violin which can be found at:
www.forestbrookstudios.com
I have four books - two volumes of sacred hymns for unaccompanied violin and two volumes of Christmas Carols for unaccompanied violin.
Also, the two volumes of Christmas Carols are also arranged for unaccompanied viola.
The books can be downloaded as PDF files from the website or purchased in book form (spiral bound).
Descriptions, tables of contents and song examples can be found on the website for each book.
Thanks you -
Paul
November 29, 2018, 10:51 PM · For the budget conscious:
Etymotics musicians earplugs (<$20 USD), good spectrum of sound and helps avoid hearing loss.

For the industrious
Intelli Metronome/Tuner

November 30, 2018, 12:23 AM · These are great, keep them coming!

Martin, I wasn’t sure what you were linking to, can you give me more info?

November 30, 2018, 5:18 AM · I've very recently acquired an expensive practice mute like this one:

https://wmutes.com/violin-mutes/practice-mute-violin

My teacher also owns one of them. I have just tried it for a few days, and I can't be more satisfied with it. It dampens the sound almost like a typical lead practice mute but keeping a high quality sound. The violin sounds almost the same as without the mute, but at a lower volume. I would recommend it to anybody who needs to play often with heavy mutes. It's completely worth it.

November 30, 2018, 10:36 AM · The Kun Solo shoulder rest for violin! It's the newest Kun model - and my personal favourite - with new mechanisms for width adjustment and folding (no screws, hurray!) and there's really nothing else like it on the market. I'm giving one to my mom for Christmas (shh, don't tell)

https://www.kunrest.com/solo/

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay