Searching for a specific violin(s)

November 24, 2018, 9:46 AM · I am searching for violins of a specific maker. Is there some way to search without sending a request to every shop and/or luthier in North America?

Replies (5)

Edited: November 24, 2018, 10:20 AM · First let as many people as possible (like all of us here, and Maestronet Pegbox) know the name of the maker, see what pops up and go from there.

You could also check Tarisio.com to see prior sales they might list or just search his name at Google.com .

November 24, 2018, 1:26 PM · Depends on what you are looking for.

Name the maker and we can go from there.

November 24, 2018, 2:54 PM · The name of the maker is Paul Jonas Bame, he likely signed his instruments PJ Bame. I have found one instrument that was sold at auction in 2017. Google searching has been difficult because Bame is a common British acronym meaning Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic. Bame is the American anglicized spelling for Bohm or Boehm.

PJ Bame was a full time Lutheran minister who worked in Virginia and North Carolina in the 1920s through 1959. He also had a very active instrument repair business all his years in the ministry. When searching using “Rev. PJ Bame” it is possible to find numerous other records that are almost exclusively religious in nature except for an article or two in national newspapers from 1959 about his violin making. The instrument that sold at auction was a 7/8 violin possibly based on a Strad pattern that he named “Noah’s Ark.” I have no knowledge of who purchased it other than they likely live in Virginia’s Shenandoah Valley.

December 1, 2018, 7:48 AM · Some other ideas in addition to the (of course) good suggestions already made. I can't certify that any of these are fabulous ideas but this is in case you're still looking for more specific suggestions after your post of exactly what you are looking for...

1) Contact David Bromberg to see if he has one that he would be interested in selling or if anyone has consulted with him recently about a PJ Bame violin. For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLKW60x6acE and http://stringsmagazine.com/david-bromberg-on-his-collection-of-270-american-made-violins/.
2) One of the conclusions I came to after watching the video above was that an instrument like this (maker of no national renown) is that the instruments tend not to end up in large shops and often will stay quite local. So you could focus your search by contacting dealers and shops in Virginia and North Carolina rather than the entire United States.
3) Find a way to put an online presence for yourself near the top of the list of google searches for "PJ Bame" "violin" "price" with a way to contact you. If I were not familiar with local violin shops and had a violin like that, when I wanted sell I would probably google it to see if I could find any info.

I am curious why this specific maker. Of course, you have no obligation to share and it's probably none of my business.

December 4, 2018, 9:35 AM · Hi Issac,

Thanks for your response. PJ Bame was my great uncle. Some of my very earliest childhood memories were being with him and my Grandfather in their vegetable garden and seeing my Uncle PJs workshop with an assortment of instruments in for repair and new parts for new instruments and tools.

I’ve contacted a number of luthiers and shops in Virginia and North Carolina with mixed results.
Frankly I’d love be the opportunity to play an instrument made by him.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay