Mozart Violin Sonatas

Edited: December 10, 2018, 12:19 AM · Is there a definitive list of the mozart violin sonatas, rank ordered by difficulty? I tend to think K. 303 is more accessible than for example K. 301, while both are easier than K. 547.

Replies (7)

November 24, 2018, 4:08 AM · Just follow the K numbers
November 24, 2018, 4:33 AM · And which ones are worth listening to? I've lost my taste for mass CD buying, and I think 6 discs would be overkill.
November 24, 2018, 5:26 AM · Mozart wrote different sets of sonatas at different times. They are all worth listening to, but appeal might be different to different people. He also composed them with different instruments/bows in mind (and different performers in some cases as well - K.379 is a good example of that), which is partly why the character changes so much as they evolve.

In terms of difficulty, it is true that they do get more virtuosic and larger musically and technically as the K numbers go up (though as a result, there are some strange catalog things in the late 370s).

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

November 25, 2018, 12:12 PM · I'm going to say K304 is probably the easiest.
November 25, 2018, 12:59 PM · Sonatas, in general, should be labelled as chamber music, piano-violin duets. The piano part frequently is harder, always plays more notes. The early Mozart sonatas are really Piano sonatas with violin obligato. Let your pianist choose which one to do. Skilled pianists that actually want to do this genre are uncommon, so take good care of them.
November 27, 2018, 12:42 PM · K.304 is probably the one lots of us got started with. It is gorgeous and not that difficult. It gives you a lifelong taste of and love for these sonatas. Enjoy them!
November 27, 2018, 12:56 PM · K303 is the one I started with.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay