Meisel COM-250 Metrotuner for my 16” Viola?

November 23, 2018, 9:33 AM · I purchased the D’Addario NS Micro Violin Viola Tuner. There is also a metronome on it. It is extremely lightweight, very small, with a low profile, and I can clip it to the fingerboard end of my violin. I love it. It gives immediate feedback and turns itself off after about 10 minutes. I then just use it to check when I think I am going flat or sharp. I keep my finger depressed on the string and position I need to check. I turn the tuner on with my right hand. It is very easily done without changing left hand/finger position or violin position. I then bow that string and check against the tuner and adjust my finger as needed and continue.

This tuner has helped my fingering accuracy because I am paying more attention and can check without losing the position of my finger on the string I am questioning. I am also hearing when I am off more often and sometimes can just adjust in my own, but not often or consistent enough to dispense with the aid yet.

The metronome is great because it just has the “flash”, that I can see, with no obtrusive sound interfering. My other metronome that I can silence is never in a good spot for me to see the flash.

It says it is for Violin and Viola. I was thinking I could also use it on my viola as well as my violin, but it does not open wide enough to fit. I have the “leg” pulled down as far as it will go, but it will not fit over the edge to clamp on to my 16” viola.

This is a link for the information on this D’Addario tuner, for reference:

https://fiddlershop.com/products/d-addario-ns-micro-violin-and-viola-tuner

My question is, do any of you violists know of a similar tuner that will clip onto the neck end of the body of a 16” viola?

I was thinking this might work, but it attaches to the scroll, Meisel COM-250 Metrotuner.

Here is a link with information on that one:

https://fiddlershop.com/collections/violin-tuners/products/meisel-com-250-metrotuner

I am not sure it will be able to be used as easily as the D’Addario. I would have to reach to the end of the scroll and the viola is longer. The string and finger placement I am checking will probably move, and therefore negate the check on my accuracy.

It would be visible and easy to see the metronome part. I am not sure how even a small amount of weight added to the end of the scroll will affect my viola hold, either.

I read, and saw in a youtube video, that it is not a good idea to clip this to the body of the viola or violin.

Has anyone used the Meisel tuner for a viola? Will it allow me to do pretty much what I do with the tiny D’Addario on my violin? Right now, to tune my viola, I attach my Snark that I use with my cello to the scroll. It has a nasty habit of popping off because it does not open enough, and it does not have a metronome, it stays on for the tuning process only, and then I just remove it because it will pop off and land on the floor. So, my viola is not played with it attached.

I have seen the ones that fit inside the pegboard and slide over tuning peg on each side. I do not want to do that. To keep this as short as I can, will not get into that reasoning.

Thank you all for any information and/or suggestions.

Cynthia

Replies (6)

November 23, 2018, 11:48 AM · I am lucky that my D'addario tuner does (just barely) fit my main viola as well as my violins (however it does not open wide enough for my other viola). Check other websites, because there are tuners that also fit on the scroll (so they are visible from playing position). The D'addario tuner does come in a model with a clamp that can be connected to the bridge and possibly the scroll (works on a cello or bass bridge).

You might check with the dealer to see if they can find one that opens a little wider.

November 23, 2018, 2:44 PM · Thanks
November 23, 2018, 4:38 PM · If it's any use to you, I have a Fender FCMT-2 Colour Mini Clip Tuner. It's jaws open to roughly 30mm - I don't own a viola so I cannot say specifically that it will fit your viola. I position it on the scroll of the violin (it's not intended to fit the body of the instrument) and the head of the tuner is articulated in 3D so you have a wide variety of options as to how to position and view it. It's also quite a bit cheaper than the D'addario and only turns itself off when it hasn't detected any sound for a few minutes. Its battery life is really good - not had to replace it ye and it's had a lot of use.

November 23, 2018, 8:15 PM · Thank you, Tony, but I think you are in England. I am US. I am looking further into the Meisel Com-250. It might work. Thanks.

Cynthia

November 24, 2018, 1:04 AM · I'm pretty sure that Fender is an American company......
November 24, 2018, 4:20 PM · Will have to check a bit more. Thanks.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay