problem of middle and ring fingers on A strings...

November 22, 2018, 5:20 PM · Hi,
I am a beginner violinist:)
I am feeling defficulty on my middle and ring fingers on A strings.
When I put my index, middle and ring fingers on B, C and D, my middle finger move with ring finger. So my fingers cannot be placed on correct position for C and D.

Is there any good way or training to improve my fingering for above problem?
Thank you!

Replies (8)

Edited: November 22, 2018, 5:25 PM · Your problem is indepence of the fingers. A fun little scale exercise I did as a beginner was that wonky 1-3-2-4 pattern. For example, in G major:
G B A C B D C E D F# and so on.
November 23, 2018, 6:08 AM · Thank you so much for your reply!! I see. I will definitely try that exercise:)
November 23, 2018, 6:29 AM · Also, depending on the size and shape of your hand, the "low two" may have to curl under rather than lean back.
November 23, 2018, 11:51 AM · Cotton's got the right idea! Make sure you do the exercises in thirds in keys that will make your play high 2's (any open string, so low octave G, D, and open A) and high 3's as well! Do high 3's (like A major in the low octave or E major after you feel you've mastered low and high 2!

It'll eventually become muscle memory, and your fingers will move more independently from each other. :)

Edited: November 23, 2018, 1:16 PM · I think it’s normal if you have a very long middle finger. My low 2 creeps forward ever so slightly when I place three down. You just have to learn to correct it so it isn’t audible on a descending scale. Just as long as the issue is when you have ur index finger down as well. If you can’t place 2 and 3 down by themselves in the right spots it might be a problem when it comes to double stops.
November 29, 2018, 11:44 PM · Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice!! I read each reply carefully and started the exercise. I hope my muscle memorise the best position soon(^^)
Thank you so much!
Edited: November 30, 2018, 3:43 AM · My hand physiology displays something that might be fairly typical.
If I want to depress each finger in turn as rapidly as possible (i.e. for a scale, ascending or descending), and starting on either hand, I am much faster going from pinky to index than going from index to pinky (doing it repeatedly - I can fudge a single run through).
You might think playing the piano would have improved that, but either I wasn't aware of it enough and didn't work on it, or playing piano scales T12T123T12T1234 (where T means Thumb) maybe never develops it enough.
So now on the left hand I'll have to develop some speed on the ascending scales.
December 1, 2018, 4:26 PM · sachi-- also make sure that your wrist is not pushed outwards too much. on A-string place 3rd finger D first, then place 2nd finger C one tone lower. lift 3rd finger to check the note. repeat! your wrist should not touch the neck of the violin, but, also, do not exaggerate in the other direction: do not push your wrist away from you. just let it relax and it is fine if it is slightly inwards, flexible. once you can do the D-C exercse, now start with 4th finger E, then place 3rd finger D one tone lower, then 2nd finger C again one tone lower. lift 4rd finger to check intonation of the D-note, then lift 3rd finger to check C note. repeat, trying to stay flexible. if you are an adult beginner your fingers may not be flexible but doing these exercises it will come soon.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay