Is intonation under slurs harder than detache

November 22, 2018, 2:59 PM · I find that my intonation is less accurate when I play slurred notes than when I play them separately at the same speed. Is this normal? What might be the cause.

Replies (6)

November 22, 2018, 3:23 PM · a good way to practice passages where intonation is a problem is to play all of the notes slowly and staccato so you can really listen to make sure everything is in tune. it's easy to overlook accuracy when the notes are slurred so removing the slurs when you practice keeps your intonation honest.
November 22, 2018, 3:43 PM · Changing the bow pressure will change the pitch. If your ears (or the listener's ears) are sensitive enough they might detect the change. Identical fingering but with less pressure near the tip than the frog might be detectable.

Thus spake the tuner on my smart phone!

November 23, 2018, 4:19 AM · It might be that you are concerned about keeping your bow moving continuously and therefore having to think of multiple things at once is making it harder to focus on intonation. If that's the case, practice that bit slowly and break it up into small and manageable goals. If you play fewer notes at a time you may find it easier to train your fingers.

P.S. The point where you realize that your intonation needs work is right before your intonation gets better, so I hope you feel encouraged that you're on the brink of making more progress! :)

November 23, 2018, 6:27 AM · In faster slurred phrases, the fingertip may not sink into the string so much. I find that in trills, for example, I may want to aim the trilling finger a little further than usual.
We may want to "hammer" the fingers down a little more in slurred phrases, for clarity and intonation.
Edited: November 23, 2018, 4:21 PM · Try separating each note (still all in one bow), stopping between each note to prepare the next finger. Once you master this you will see an improvement with your slurring.
November 28, 2018, 7:46 AM · All good points! Violin intonation is a more delicate matter than I imagined. So many factors.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay