Hungarian concertos?

November 22, 2018, 12:34 PM · Hi All,

I'm currently a non-major student violinist studying in Umich and am taking lessons with a post-doc violinist there. We're currently working Bach's g minor fugue and the first movement of Tchaikovsky's concerto. However, being an international student from Hungary, I've been getting quite homesick nowadays and would like to play some major works by Hungarian composers after I finish the Tchaikovsky. I have been thinking of Joachim's concertos, and maybe some of Bartok's concertos, but am not sure if those are out of my reach or not. (Nor am I sure if my teacher knows them or not...)

Any recommendations/advice would be appreciated!

Replies (7)

November 22, 2018, 3:14 PM · Take a look at Jeno Hubay. I think he's not played nearly enough. His shorter works rival Kreisler's in charm.

https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Hubay,_Jenö

Edited: November 22, 2018, 3:31 PM · Jeno Hubay composed several violin concertos, as did Emanuel Moor. You'll find the scores on IMSLP.

One way to do the search is to go to this website, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hungarian_composers
which is in alphabetical order. Then look for individual names in IMSLP's composer section and see what comes up. That is how I found the Hubay and Moor concertos, because I recognized the names. Zoltan Kodaly apparently didn't compose a violin concerto, unfortunately.

November 22, 2018, 5:17 PM · I really like the Bartok Romanian Dances and they are not that difficult to work on.
November 22, 2018, 5:36 PM · Not concertos, but the Brahms/Joachim Hungarian Dances, Bartok Romanian Folk Dances and Rhapsodies are nice and nothing to sneeze at technically.
December 4, 2018, 5:48 PM · Joachim's Hungarian concerto (d minor) is yummy, indulgent, and epic. I will never forget hearing Rachel Barton Pine's recording of it about 15 years ago, and being so inspired that I gathered friends around at the ENCORE School for Strings to show off this rarity. I keep offering it to orchestras, but conductor's usually say, "How charming! Let's do Tchaikovsky instead."
December 4, 2018, 6:02 PM · The Bartok duets are fun, short pieces.
December 5, 2018, 6:38 PM · Why not just google Hungarian Violin?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay