Quick Viola Question

November 21, 2018, 5:39 PM · Having to choose between Brahms Op. 120 No. 1 movement 4 or Hindemith Op 11 No 4 Mvmt 1, which would be a better prescreening audition choice for conservatory? Specifically this would be for Juilliard, Manhattan School and Mannes. Thank you.

Replies (3)

Edited: November 21, 2018, 6:06 PM · If you can play the Brahms perfectly, then definitely go with that. Would be really impressive! :) However the opening is quite difficult and most people can't play it very well... I personally would go with Hindemith (safe option).

EDIT
Just saw you wrote mvt 4 for Brahms, in that case I would definitely go Hindemith.

Edited: November 27, 2018, 7:14 PM · That movement of Brahms seems to me to be one where he most possibly conceived of the work as being a viola sonata, with those repeated quavers (the 1st movement seems to me to be more naturally for clarinet - I find it quite tricky to make an upward slurred arpeggio an emotional peak on the viola, though I think on the clarinet it comes quite naturally). I think I'd take the fourth movement to an audition. I'd be interested to see James's take on my comment.
November 28, 2018, 2:39 PM · I would advise you to play whichever one you are most comfortable playing. You will not get points probably for mangling something very difficult, and you may not be able to show off the technique points you do best.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay