learning audibly

November 21, 2018, 12:40 PM · Ok, so here's the situation... I am totally blind and a violin beginner. I do not have the finances to have private lessons. I cannot read sheetmusic for obvious reasons. I also was never taught braille music. This leaves me learning things by ear. Does anybody know of any places for this type of material??? I know Bill Brown has some stuff, but it's only an intro. I will start with this for now. However, I have no idea where to go afterward for more classical instructions.
Z I would like to find audio versions of Suzuki books, because I keep hearing that they have good musical pieces to learn and start with…

Replies (5)

November 21, 2018, 12:55 PM · Is this helpful? :-) https://www.violinist.com/blog/laurie/20145/15813/
November 21, 2018, 1:13 PM · Mikes’s Conservatory has all the songs in the Suzuki on YouTube. Here is the link for book 1:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UIqJPxgwcuc

It contains them all in one video, so you have to kind of fast forward advance to get a specific song. There is also a video for books 2, 3 and 4.

There was a set of Suzuki YouTube for cello with each song a separate video. They were done by someone else, but I couldn’t find it done like that for violin.

Cynthia

November 21, 2018, 1:30 PM · Thank you both. :) I am going to take a look at the youtube videos right now. :)
November 22, 2018, 5:31 AM · The Suzuki violin music is available in itunes. Also the studies by Wohlfhart. I think that in your case you need to focus in soloistic music, that is more easily distinguisable by ear. So after the fourth or fifth book of suzuki, I would jump to Barbara Barber's Solos for Young Violinists. Those are also available in itunes, and there is a lot to chew in them.
On the other hand, the reliance of classical music to read the partitures is always going to handicap you. Considering that there are violin styles that are proud to disregard sheet music and only play by ear, I would aim at those. In that sense and as a beginner I advice you to start your road with the Marc O'Connor Method, rather than Suzuki.
O'Connor tunes from his books are available streaming in his webpage http://www.oconnormethod.com/Stream-Method-CDs.html
November 22, 2018, 11:27 AM · Smart idea, Carlos. Irish fiddlers play almost entirely by ear. Maybe find some of those to hang out with. :-)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay