Goodwill find?

November 20, 2018, 6:41 PM · newbie question. Has anyone had success buying from goodwill auctions for restorations?

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/60213603

Replies (4)

November 20, 2018, 7:01 PM · Most certainly not 1733 nor rare...

Better to ask on Maestronet where the ex-musicians hang out.

November 20, 2018, 7:20 PM · no bargains from goodwill, they seem to know quite well what the value of their violins is and if theyre cheap its because of condition issues or because they know its fake
November 20, 2018, 10:45 PM · Eight years ago I got lucky, and bought my first violin, a cheap Cecilio from Goodwill for $25. I sold it later for the same amount after I bought a better instrument.
November 20, 2018, 10:51 PM · OK, so, not Bergonzi. But maybe not awful. Goodwill auctions don't often give you the images you need to nail it down, but the corners don't actually look like the rasped-off Vogtland corners that would indicate what is called "the usual" over on maestronet. I can't see where the scroll fluting ends up, but it would still be reasonable to assume that this IS indeed the "usual," that is to say, a cottage industry violin made by people who could whip out a decent violin with stunning speed. Circa 1900, in what is now the border region between Germany and the Czech Republic. It is about at the top price you should pay. Sometimes these sound awesome, and then this would be a great price, and sometimes they are crummy, and then this is about four times what you should pay. In fact, buying violins, sound/playability mean nothing, but if you are buying cheap fiddles, then a good one is worth a lot more than a crappy one. In my opinion, of course.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay